86 IDI w/ C6 - Trans Dipstick w/ Tube help... please...

6T9burner

Reaction score
My truck has sat for about a 2 years; life happened and well... you know the tune. Recently, I was "encouraged" to start work on the truck again. I have sorted out most of the wiring. It will now startup and run. The C6 has been rebuilt, and have an upgraded pan and seal (don't understand why factory transmission pans don't have a drain plug). I tore out the old glow plug system and replaced it with one form a 7.3 as well as added a bypass in case the system craps out. I even worked the saddle tank (old fuel filler neck caused issued and it would take forever to fill up). The previous owner installed a turbo, Ypipe, and other parts onto the 6.9; that portion works great.

On to my problem and a great source of sadness. The previous owner saw fit to replace the dipstick tube with an after market that doesn't fit. I stupidly picked up a Banks dipstick tube which supposedly worked for a 7.3 w/ c6; I thought, since a 7.3 is basically a 6.9 block, everything would be gravy... it isn't. I cannot get the tube to fit without possibly cutting the mounting tab off (it hits the transmission/bellhousing) and trying to figure out some other way to secure it. Even if I did cut the tab and well one on in another location, which I am hesitant to do because I am not competent enough to work on metal that thin, I don't know what size dipstick I would need.

Can anyone point me in the direction of either a good way to remedy my situation? Perhaps point me to a dipstick/tube combo that will work... maybe something that either has a double o-ring or grommet sleeve with a locking dipstick? I'd like to proceed in a way that is smarter so as to not repeat a stupid and expensive purchase.

Thanks all.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't remember much about the C6 and turbos. Is it possible that the turbo wasn't made for an automatic transmission? What turbo is it? If you want, an aftermarket dipstick tube, you could try looking at a Lokar brand (I believe they are still in business). I believe that they used to offer flexible tubes for odd applications. That may be a viable, although not cheap, option for you.
Another thing to try would be to cut the mounting tab itself instead of where it mounts to the tube. You could extend the tab itself and not have to try welding to the tube.

6T9burner

Reaction score
The turbo and associated parts came off a 7.3 auto. The turbo isn't the problem, the dipstick tube is. I have a flexible one, that that is a POS. Takes forever to fill the transmission and leaks because it's not the right dipstick. I wanted to get some advice on a decent one to buy, before I went out and bought a new one.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
If you have a pick and pull junkyard nearby, you might be able to get the stock tube and dipstick.

OR (presuming the Banks setup is correct otherwise)

Use plumber's tape to create a new mounting tab anywhere it will fit. No welding necessary. Yes, it is hillbilly, but it will do the job.

6T9burner

Reaction score
So I figured out that the mounting tab is welded on the wrong side... which is why the mounting made no sense to me. I called the company to get a replacement... but holidays and all. I am still trying to find a dipstick for it.

6T9burner

Reaction score
The company is giving me a hard time, so I need to look at other options. I found two dipstick/tube combos, both with locking dipsticks. However, the are for C6 trans with small blocks and big blocks. The one of the left is big block, the one on the right is small block.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online