SD HVAC controls

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
OK, I found this on PSN. I've been wantin to to go digital for a while now and i think i've found two mods. In a conversation on alienturtle's thread about overhead gauges he mentioned an overhead console out of a 99 explorer that someone put in a FS Bronco. How hard would this be on a scale from 1 to 10? Also I think the mod pictured on PSN is the coolest thing ever and I WANT IT -Drool Maybe someone can try and explain to me how to wire this up, I have a buddy thats an SD FREAK and I'll bet I could have one of these in a couple days! ;Sweet

Superduty HVAC controls in an OBS

Attachments

• IMG_4055_Medium_.JPG
    IMG_4055_Medium_.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 56

FordGuy100

Reaction score
From what I read about the HVAC controls, it seemed extremly hard. I would probably never take it on.

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
I'd say its something along the lines on extreme wire splicing between the SD wiring harness and the OBS :dunno not saying its easy by absolutely no means but I have a friend that rewired an entire 6.0 SD :sly

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
Here http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/94...214-so-you-want-climate-control-your-obs.html

its quite a task. I had it saved in my book marks in case i came across a HVAC and might attempt it. It involves a lot of sensor mounting and graphing the entire HVAC system into out truck. You have to unsolder a bunch of ribon cable wires from the HVAC board and solder separate wires in its place. It says you have ot do some cutting to the actual control housing to get it to all fit in place. I dont think its really THAT hard just looks like a lot of time consuming thing.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I know nothing about SD's, but knowing what I do about AC systems, I wouldn't touch that one with a ten foot pole. That sucker has computerized sensors . You would not only need the sensors, but a way to drive them that is most likely not self contained in that control head. There is most likely a series of relays and sensors and at min one or more control boxes depending on how many electronic functions are utilized.
The European ones I'm used to fooling with that are laid out logically are a big enough nightmare. 'merican factory stuff is outright nervewracking.

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
So its actually grand marquis/crown victoria climate control. I see, i see. He is selling plug and play kits now but they are for OBS PSD's. Would they even work on an IDI?

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
from the how to I posted it looks like if you get a donor car or the entire hvac system you will be OK. It looks like to me its is a self contained system with its own sensors ect that it uses

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
True. I am going to read it in more detail tomorrow I just kinda skimmed over it this time. I just wanna know exactly how much of my spare time this is gonna take up :rotflmao

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
I think i'm gonna set this one on the back burner for a couple months. I need to find the time to go to pull-apart and **** a crown vic :rotflmao although this is my next mod :sly that and i'm thinkin about bed lining the whole dang truck (the paint is terrible).

Attachments

• Photo125.jpg
    Photo125.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 30

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats pretty cool really.i hope you do it.it looks like a fun project.
realistically though,how hard is it to manually regulate the temp an a reg cab truck?
of course it'll be more for the experience and updated styling.post back when ya get 'er done.

How hard would this be on a scale from 1 to 10?
looking over the write up,id give it a solid 10 all easy.with changing ball joints on a 4wd truck being a 10 as well,id rather tackle the ball joints.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
just fyi with those control heads. They have ALOT of known issues with the head and the blower speed regulator. Years ago i converted my crown victoria from manual ac to auto climate. I had a parts car to swap everything over. But about a year ago i needed to replace the climate head because it was leaking vacuum internally. That control head is big bucks! i wish i never converted the car over.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
just fyi with those control heads. They have ALOT of known issues with the head and the blower speed regulator. Years ago i converted my crown victoria from manual ac to auto climate. I had a parts car to swap everything over. But about a year ago i needed to replace the climate head because it was leaking vacuum internally. That control head is big bucks! i wish i never converted the car over.

Exactly! Most folks with ACC would give their left arm to have had their vehicle have come from the factory with manual control when it starts going buggy.... which is just about ALWAYS :backoff THey did their best to try to sense cabin temps, but depending on if the sun is out or not , humity levels etc, the blamed thing just cannot compensate for all that and you just end up fiddling with the blamed things just as much as if you would have had a manual control, except the blamed air is never blowing out where you want it to unless you set it on manual unless the outside temps are at extreme ends of the range, in other words, why bother
I've gone through acc units in Volvos and Mercedes, we're talking high end Euro luxury cars and they aren't any better

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As slick and sassy as that is and attractive as it appears, I'll stick with manual rotating knobs from a OBS or sliders that I have. I want to add the rotating knobs from the OBS and relocate them to below the stereo instead of above.

It is a nice mod but IMHO not one I would do, more to go wrong...less is more for me in HVAC