school me on the cdr valve

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
The CDR does not regulate any kind of flow.
The only reason it's there is to stop a possible run away engine in case the engine starts injesting it's own oil.
Just try and get the spring to compress. Hook Your compressor up to it, and blow air thru it, It takes a hella flow to over power the spring to even start to close the diaphram. More flow than it will ever see on the engine.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't anyone look in the parts bin for numbers?
Oh well here they are. Navistar can cross reference from Ford to Navistar IH

1983 to 1994 6.9 and 7.3

CDR or PVC E3TZ6A665A
Grommet E3TZ6A892A
Tube E8TZ6A892A

OH poop, now I'm an expert.

zrexryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CDR does not regulate any kind of flow.
The only reason it's there is to stop a possible run away engine in case the engine starts injesting it's own oil.
Just try and get the spring to compress. Hook Your compressor up to it, and blow air thru it, It takes a hella flow to over power the spring to even start to close the diaphram. More flow than it will ever see on the engine.

Well not so, it does regulate, Instead of blowing air through it, try testing it with a shop vac on the vacuum side. it will close the valve until pressure is applied from the crank case side of it, by design it won't stop a possible run away engine ,if its got that much blowing by it will over run the internals and rite down the intake it go's.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I've tried the shop vac also. The CDR is just a glorified PCV Valve. It wil never close in normal operation of the engine.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you clean it then if gasoline is bad for it? I just replaced mine with a brand new one from the dealer. It sat for a while, probably 15 years in dealer, is there way to do anything for it?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok seeing how the parts bin only lists the square o ring / gasket for the cdr to the bolt on bracket and my rubber tube adapter gizmo (from the cdr to the tube into the air filter housing) on my ats 093 is shot.....
who has a pn???
Amazon shipped me one listed for 6.9-7.3 but its a nogo.
Napa tried to sell me a pvc grommet for a bb.
Vatozone = deer in headlights.
Epay nogo

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828