Scared to buy "reman" ZF5

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do y'all know anyone trust worthy within 150 miles of Denton, TX?
I'd buy one from the junk yard if I knew a re-builder. I'll try it myself one day...just not today. Way too many projects since the rain stopped.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No clue, but reman units are completely hit and miss if you ask me. I'd rather have a trusted local place rebuild one VS buying a reman. If you do a reman I'd make sure I got a decent warranty and would have installed in a timely manner so I had most of the warranty to use.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No clue, but reman units are completely hit and miss if you ask me. I'd rather have a trusted local place rebuild one VS buying a reman. If you do a reman I'd make sure I got a decent warranty and would have installed in a timely manner so I had most of the warranty to use.

2x on local shop...I just don't know anyone with zf5 experience. $8 to $1200 is a lot of coin (to me) for rolling dice with.

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really local to you, but check with Fort Worth Differential and Gear(not Gear and Axle). They rebuild only manual transmissions and he told me they do ZFs all the time. I won't give you the approximate figure he gave me, that's for him, but your post is in the right direction. I would think it's worth the 1.5 hour drive south if you can't find someone in Denton. They swapped my ring/pinion and it's working fine.

When I need to rebuild my ZF5, I will be taking it to him.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought one from Zumbrota bearing and gear in Minnesota. Even with shipping to Nevada it was a good deal. I did have a little leak out of a case plug in the bell housing, but they made it right. I had to remove the trans and strap it to a pallet, but they picked it up, shipped it back to their facility, repaired it and returned it on their dime. So far, it's been great. I'd recommend them.

http://zbag.com

Ryan

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I rebuilt mine. Maybe $300 in rebuild parts. I believe I paid $350 for the transmission (converting from C6), but it came with a seized crusty old 7.3 which I parted out and made over $500 off the engine. Came with a newer Luk clutch and flywheel too. Probably ended up with a free transmission after all said and done. The ZF5 is a bit of a PITA compared to a T10 or toploader but it's not rocket science. Biggest reason I do these things myself is I have seen the incompetence at shops and hear the horror stories. I don't trust anyone to work on my stuff anymore. Cost is usually much less. If you need special tools may be a wash but the second job you do is a big profit, or buy tools used and resell them if you'll never do it again.

Or, take your chances with a shop. I've learned warranties are useless. Becomes a he said she said ******* match and any warranty work will be a rushed hack job as it's not paying work for the shop. Outsourcing work is a roll of the dice.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid $1300.00 to have my ZF re-built. It looked new when I picked it up, unfortunately it works exactly the same as it did prior to the "re-build". Extremely displeased with the product I received and their non existent customer service. Supposed to have a one year "no questions" asked warranty. What I didn't realize was this meant they wanted your money and you weren't supposed to ask any questions! My advice is to carefully select a rebuilder, and completely understand their warranty prior to spending your hard earned money. For example, ask about removal and installation labor costs, towing charges, & rental car fees in the event their re-built transmission needs to be removed. They may also require you purchasing other new components (clutch disc, throw-out bearing, etc.) to activate warranty....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online