Saved by IDI

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a week.

So you can see my 4 vehicles in my sig, well the car and the 250 are my daily drivers though the diesel might take me to work once a week. Working in the city though, taking the giant cclb diesel stick isn't ideal so once a week is usually all I bother with it for work. It and the 150 which is too mint and I care about it too much from it being my grandfathers and whatnot to dare take it it's the city.

Well, sure enough this week my dads truck went down for the count and he likes the 250, so it's out of the rotation. Then the next morning my girlfriends brand new Hyundai Tuscon Eco Turbo whatever drops codes from the transmission and keeps going in sport mode and overheating so it's off to the dealership under warranty. Cavalier now out of rotation. Girlfriend can't drive stick so she has max. Down to Ernest and Fred the 350 and 150.

Was gonna drive Fred and after 27 years, the original starter sticks and melts. Not the solenoid on the fender or something just internally locked and melts smokes and breaks. I was gonna drive it too because I have two important business meetings in Ohio two hours from home to go too and figured I'd take the freshly washed and waxed truck that fits in parking spaces. Nope. Got new starter but no time to put it on until weekend.

So the old IDI has had to take me to two business meetings with various important people I don't care about speaking for work.

The kicker of the story, one of the home office guys drives an 86 F250 IDI regular cab auto 4x4. I parked by it just for fun and the parking space was big by it and when we all left the meeting I was sitting in my truck hoping it was gonna start after 9 cold windy hours and no heat with 6 working glow plugs and it fired up pretty quick! That's when I saw the guy walking out to his truck. Got a good laugh from that, guess even the rich CEOs of large companies can enjoy these old trucks too. I figured he'd be getting into a Lexus or something, but nope. Good guy too, it was his daily driver.

Now to just repossess my vehicles from the family and bolt this starter on the 150 this weekend. Haha. Have to say the old beast did very well on such long drives yesterday and today so far it's hot and my ac is still blowing cold after pumping some ester oil and red tek in it months ago. Starting to convince myself it's worth sanding and painting some of the rougher areas after owning it for 15k miles and being at 113k now with a fresh ip and injectors at 94k before I bought it.. Hasn't let me down yet except for that one hard line I cracked while doing return lines. Good feeling though this week despite all the other stuff going on that its been reliable and worth the 2k I dropped on it and then some! Was wondering in the back of my mind if I had got taken for how cheap he was selling it to me but after what 7-8 months and lots of miles and finding the paperwork for the work done to it under the seat, I feel very relieved I have this thing especially since I'll be moving this fall.

Last edited:

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to double post but funny story I got the starter on the 150 and found out my fender solenoid had welded itself to the fender in the inside of the engine bay and had to get a new solenoid. That was a good fireworks show. Now that's fixed too and her car is fixed so outside of my dad having the 250 for a bit I'm back to normal!

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Bruiser eats fender mounted relays. Maybe over a dioxin in the past few years. Cables REALLY need replaced...

Watched the cable ends at that relay get red hot last week before the hard plastic exploded.