Safe Opperation Temps

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I was hauling 3 motorcycles from Albuquerque to Michigan and my radiator is pretty corroded internally. Most of the day through New Mexico and Kansas it was around 95-100 degrees and the truck was running at around 230 degrees, occasionally crept up to 235, was that safe for the engine?

Whats the best way to clean the scale out of a radiator? I have heard vinegar works really good. Is it safe to use part store cleaners that require that the engine is running since there would be nothing to prevent cavitation? Or is the best bet to just have it boiled at a radiator shop?

Also mine doens't have a fan shroud? Does this effect cooling a lot?

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the shroud makes a big difference, but some have had good luck running without one. Flush out your radiator or replace it and see what happens. The more passages that are plugged up the hotter the engine will run since theres not as much cooling capacity in the radiator.
245 I think is the limit on these engines, as long as your coolant is in good condition.
I run 210-220 in the summer towing.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's probably the right info. FYI the check engine light comes on at 243 taken at the coolant sensor in the driver's side head. A lot of us think that the engine may have already suffered irreparable harm at this point. I doubt you've damaged anything thus far as these things often creep up quite a bit running hard especially with a load and the AC on. There were times I had to quit running the AC and even roll down the windows and turn on the heater, but when this happened it would quickly return to the normal 192-212* F operating range. Idling in traffic with the AC on when its really hot and a load is where I've really had the worst problems. I'd get that radiator steam cleaned or a new radiator ASAP. Just my 2 cents worth.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It cools down idling. Now I am back in Northern Michigan and it will be a long time before the truck sees 95 to 100 degree temps. Around here it runs at around 210 with a load. Can you get the fan shroud at any of the auto parts stores or is it a Ford or junk yard only item.

I hope I can find out who owns this truck abandoned in a field near my house, F-250 diesel, new radiator and shroud. And a tailgate.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
When you consider that the brain trust at ford designed the fan clutch to where it didn't fully lock up till the temp hitting it nailed 260......cookoo Aparantly a little stunt they pulled for part of the group emissions testing

Had a little disscussion with the guy at MS tec last week when i bought one of their fancy modified fan clutches that locks up around 210-215 ;Sweet
Mine normally stays right at thermostat opening temp except when pulling long hills I managed to screw up my old fan clutch while I was rebuilding my engine, I left the old one sitting on it's back for 8 months like a complete idiot, then first trip out I couldn't figure out why the temp was climbing, till it hit me, DUH! Can't believe I pulled that one. Oh well, it was a good excuse to buy the nice one.

If anyone wants to buy one of those MS tec fan clutches , better do it quick before they jack the price up again. two weeks ago they told me $307 plus shipping , last week it cost me $325 plus shipping :eek: -cuss

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Geez you guys with these high temps, its crazy. My truck overcools, I'm pretty sure on that. My truck usually runs around 190* driving around, weither 25* or 95*. Sometimes it will go up to 200*. But when I get into town, and drive 25-40mph in any gear, even with the A/C on, it will drop to around 180*. When pulling a 4K pound boat, around 65* outside, I was pulling long grades, my water temp would go to around 195*, then I would downshift to 3rd gear, and it would drop to around 185*. I think I would literally chit myself if I saw my water temp gauge at 230*, I would at least freak out. Thats just because I'm used to my cool water temps.

tractorman86

Reaction score
Geez you guys with these high temps, its crazy. My truck overcools, I'm pretty sure on that. My truck usually runs around 190* driving around, weither 25* or 95*. Sometimes it will go up to 200*. But when I get into town, and drive 25-40mph in any gear, even with the A/C on, it will drop to around 180*. When pulling a 4K pound boat, around 65* outside, I was pulling long grades, my water temp would go to around 195*, then I would downshift to 3rd gear, and it would drop to around 185*. I think I would literally chit myself if I saw my water temp gauge at 230*, I would at least freak out. Thats just because I'm used to my cool water temps.

i'm the same, i never see 195* that i can rmmember and it is 110* here:eek: :eek: ! IIRC i have a 160*fan clutch fresh rad(old one worked great till it cracked the heck out of the to tank:puke: ) and a 165*thermostat:thumbsup: . my problem is that my a/c blows 30* in the vent and freezes up, so i need to clean out my evaperator i think.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where'd you get a 160 degree fan clutch? Is the 165 thermostat available at the parts stores? I have never seen over 200 in Michigan, first time i saw 210 I was worried, then 230 I was worried but I figure if the safe opperating temp is 240 then I guess I'm good. Certainly didn't have the money to buy a new radiator then or now. Hopefully I can get a hold of the guy with the truck in the field, probably get the whole truck for less than a new radiator would cost.

Could someone on a much smaller budget use one of those cheap aluminum flex fans? Or something similar?

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yah; I think if my truck hit 200-210 I would crap my pants. I am pretty also that mine runs at about 180-195 regardless of the temp outside, -20 - 110 towing my 28 footer to runs cool.

I do want to add an intercooler of some sort. I can't afford a standard new, or even used one. What I may do is; Cut a hole in my hood right above my K&N filter, and put a fan under the hood in the hole, and a big ass hood scoop on the top. Than run a fan temp relay to kick on at about 160 and/or have it come on when at a stop, or at any speed under 55. That way I just get cooler air in my engine compartment, and have it blow right on the filter itself to ensure cooler air. One thing I know for sure, the 1990 F250 4x4 does not have a good engine air from the outside, and that 7.3 IDI puts out some freakin' heat. And I am just worried that, 'cause I run an ATS turbo set up, and I have my BD2 pump turned up, and I also run my cold advance all the time (I actually cut the connection to the cold advance solenoid, and wired the cold avance solenoid to the fuel shut off solenoid. So when I turn the truck on, both the fuel solenoid and cold advance solenoid get power and run till I shut the truck off), and I run a 4" down pipe to a 4" straight exhaust that ends between my cab and bed (no **** on my stuff); So I am running as much hp and torque out of my stock IDI as I can, and believe me, my IDI hauls ass. Mine will smoke the tires from a stand start with no power braking!!!!!

1990 F250 4X4 Lariat; ATS turbo/K&N cold filter set up/Stage One Turbo Injectors/new return line setup/4” down/4” out straight exhaust (with no **** on my stuff)/DB2 pump cranked up, and full auto advance/Trans Kit/Converter Lock up Switch and 120K on the clock/ and I drag my 28 foot home around with me. So my truck is a must, not a status!!

rthomas

Reaction score
a few years ago there was a guy over at tds that had some dyno results that suggested that idi's make their best power at 210, FWIW i noticed slightly lower egt and less smoke when the water was over 200. i wouldnt think too much of 230, but wouldnt want it to get much hotter