Rust on Dually Front Wheel Covers?

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a question... I noticed on my '06 Ram 3500 dually that the front wheel covers have become very pitted in the groove at the outside edge of the "spokes" and in the slots (looking through these you can see the brakes.)

I initially thought this was rust due to the truck being parked by the Atlantic ocean for most of 5-6 months. Now I'm thinking it is wheel damage caused by accumulation of brake dust.

I was able to remove the "rusty" portion on the wheel but cannot get into the slotted sections well enough to remove the "rust". Will try again when I have the covers off the truck and a stronger rag and better abrasive compound. Chrome polish and paper towels don't cut it, and the polish is so old it is dried out (would rather not have it accumulate in the brake/hub mechanism.

Has anyone had the same problem? Is this damage caused by brake dust (I've never heard of such a thing!), or rust? Will Dodge warranty this since the truck is still within rust warranty?

Thanks,

Mike

MMeier

Reaction score
Thought all dually inserts were made of a substance other then metal.... plastic comes to mind. Never saw plastic rust, I know the combination of brake dust and rotor wear will turn them a rusty shade of orange/ red over time.... long trip comes to mind. I doubt Dodge will do anything for you though . Doesn't hurt to try . I do have a set of new inserts and caps if interested.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, MMeier. I think this is brake dust... some wheel cleaner seems to have worked wonders. Will hit the wheels again this weekend, when I have more wheel cleaner and the truck is by a wash rack. Plastic wheel covers. Now, that's quality!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance