Running hot at highway speeds!?

chumwon

Reaction score
Why don't you just block off the rad with some cardboard, even at idle and see when or if the clutch kicks in at what temp. anywhere from 220*F to 240*F.
I can't get it above 190* without doing 65+ mph but I've always thought it wasn't working right, just in my mind I thought that'd just effect low speed temps and not highway temps but I was obviously wrong..when I first bought the truck I heard it the very first time I got it running she was loud as heck but haven't heard it since then..

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ideally you never want to hear it.If you never hear it and the temp never goes above 240F then you win.Best fuel economy without it locked up and safe to run 24/7 @ 240F or less.

Think,Navistar International medium duty truck engine.Built for dump trucks and large trucks made to haul heavy.Just because ford put them in pickups doesn't mean they're weak versions or something so we've got to baby them.:D

Last edited:

chumwon

Reaction score
Ideally you never want to hear it.If you never hear it and the temp never goes above 240F then you win.Best fuel economy without it locked up and safe to run 24/7 @ 240F or less.
Oh really you think the ole girl is fine sitting at 240? It likes 225-230F an if it had its way she'd ride that all day, just makes me cringe thinking about it but im not very seasoned on these diesel engines just yet either. Thanks again!

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
With 0% concern of hurting it at those temps.Where is your temp sender located?

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's where I have mine.It's said you read a touch higher average temps there anyway too.Your good.All system go.Run 'er.:D
As it warms up and or if you haul heavy or tow and you don't hear the fan lock up before 240F then you'll need to replace it.Right now you could toss some cardboard in front of it while driving to force it to reach 240F or have the fan lock,whichever comes first.This way you'll know if it works before you hook up to something.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why don't you just block off the rad with some cardboard, even at idle and see when or if the clutch kicks in at what temp. anywhere from 220*F to 240*F.

If the clutch worked, I think he would know it. He hasn't commented on the jet airplane residing under the hood of his truck, so I bet it's not working.

chumwon

Reaction score
That's where I have mine.It's said you read a touch higher average temps there anyway too.Your good.All system go.Run 'er.:D
As it warms up and or if you haul heavy or tow and you don't hear the fan lock up before 240F then you'll need to replace it.Right now you could toss some cardboard in front of it while driving to force it to reach 240F or have the fan lock,whichever comes first.This way you'll know if it works before you hook up to something.
Roger that I'll keep on trucking then! Thanks for your knowledge on these wonderful ole gems!!

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the clutch worked, I think he would know it. He hasn't commented on the jet airplane residing under the hood of his truck, so I bet it's not working.

True.You and Bill are both equally correct.It's just that,chumwon said he hasn't yet seen close to 240F.During the fan test procedure as pointed out by Bill,the fan clutch is still good so long as it locks upwards of around 240F.
This is also why I just added that he watches his temps when it warms up some more.It's possible he's just not warmed her up enough yet for the fan to lock so he can hear it.:D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online