Rsk and SD springs

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was about to start asking questions on the bilsein thread but thought this might be a topic for its own thread. Id like to do whatever it takes to get my 91 f350 to not beat the crap out of me off road (barring always having a ton or two in the back). Brad said they only make the rsk for 92-94 so for a 91 would you get a 92-94 kit and make it work or what? When you say superduty springs are you talking similar vintage cab and chassis or like a 98+ truck? Any recommended sources on springs? Any details, pics or build threads would be appreciated. Truck sits at around 3" higher than stock now on 35s now which is perfect for me. Thanks

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
ORU http://www.offroadunlimited.com/ makes a RSK for the 80-91 trucks. BUT it is designed to bolt into a stock location and used 80-97 springs.

I adapted a SKY MFG http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new/ to my 97. It was designed to fit my 97 in a stock location and use 80-97 springs. I moved it 3.5" forward and used SD springs(99-04)
Here is how I did that http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48460&highlight=springs

My 96 I just did i used one from PMF. PMF http://www.precisionmetalfab.net/ now is in the process of making a bolt in style, NO DRILLING/ using existing frame holes with no fabrication necessary to use SD springs. Below are some photos of how that fits my 96.

But you have to remember, the 2 92-97 trucks have boxed front frame horns and the 80-91 do NOT

You must be registered for see images attach

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
What would it take to put the PMF kit on an 86? Just boxing the frame horn?

Or would it be easier to adapt the Sky Mfr kit?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
What would it take to put the PMF kit on an 86? Just boxing the frame horn?

Or would it be easier to adapt the Sky Mfr kit?

Not really sure. Haven't looked at my 86 yet to determine that. I am actually going to remove the SKY on off my 97 and save it for my 86. It will be replcaed with another PMF like on my 96

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics, very helpfull. Do you have experience with doing the rsk like the oru one with the stock location and a custom leaf pack (stock length) with the thinner leafs like deaver makes. Does the longer length of the sd make the ride worth the effort. also are you getting stock springs like from the jy or ordering something in particular. Again, really appricate the input.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics, very helpfull. Do you have experience with doing the rsk like the oru one with the stock location and a custom leaf pack (stock length) with the thinner leafs like deaver makes. Does the longer length of the sd make the ride worth the effort. also are you getting stock springs like from the jy or ordering something in particular. Again, really appricate the input.

I have done 2 ORU RSKs but they were on 92-97 trucks. And YES the longer SD leafs make a world of difference in the ride.

here is a link to an install of a RSK in a 80-91 frame to give you an idea of what is involved. I personally would save $150 and buy a SKY kit and make your own plates to box the frame. Also I dont like how ORU has you cut your frame hanger
http://www.projectresponder.com/reverse-shackle-kit~19.htm

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other hiccup with s/d springs under an 80-91 is the frame doesn't stick out as far past the front body mount as a 92-97, as you can see in Brads picture the frame still extends past where the spring eye ends up on a 92+, while on a 91 and older the centerline of the spring eye very nearly ends up even with the front of the frame horns, like so:

Thats S/D springs with the rear eye bolted into the stock rear hangar, the rear side of the springs is the same legnth as the stock 80-96 springs, while the front is approx 4" longer if memory serves. Ignore the big square holes in my frame, I removed the stock dimple in my frame and the cutout for the shackle for reasons unrelated to the s/d spring swap.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
The other hiccup with s/d springs under an 80-91 is the frame doesn't stick out as far past the front body mount as a 92-97, as you can see in Brads picture the frame still extends past where the spring eye ends up on a 92+, while on a 91 and older the centerline of the spring eye very nearly ends up even with the front of the frame horns, like so:

Thats S/D springs with the rear eye bolted into the stock rear hangar, the rear side of the springs is the same legnth as the stock 80-96 springs, while the front is approx 4" longer if memory serves. Ignore the big square holes in my frame, I removed the stock dimple in my frame and the cutout for the shackle for reasons unrelated to the s/d spring swap.

Do you have any pics with the swap completed?

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I am not using the stock center pin location though, I mounted the front hangar to set my shackle angle where I wanted it, and then drilled the main for axle location, if I remember right it is 4" forward of the stock S/D location. I was able to get blank mains locally, for cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svttim