Rough idle, now no start

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently my truck started acting funny. I would start it up, then after it warmed up, it would idle rough and surge. Id rev it a bunch and eventually it would idle normal and drive fine all day.

Then it got to the point where after it warmed up it would surge and then die. It would be very hard to start again but eventually would and then idle and drive fine.

Well I started it this morning. It warmed up, died and now I cant get it to fire up.
Im hoping it is air in the lines and not a bad injection pump.

The previous owner already bypassed the water seperator.
The filter is newish but I got a new one incase.
I notice fuel leaking onto my transmission and also behind the air intake directly under the turbo. What might that be?

I have a return line kit and replaced everything on the passenger side but cant reach the lines on the driver side.

I have this giant banks turbo airbox which is in the way of everything. I started to remove bolts, but cant seem to remove it. Do I have to open the airbox to remove it?
You must be registered for see images attach

93IDITURBOPOWER

93IDITURBOPOWER
Reaction score
Have your return lines ever been replaced? Do any of your injectors leak? Sounds like a classic sign of air intrusion, I would replace your return lines first and try that. My truck was leaking fuel in the same place, so I replaced those lines and we were all good.

Like you I also have a turbo, so on mine I had to take the top of the air filter housing off, then take the air filter out, then there should be 2 bolts holding the bottom of the housing onto the block, and the whole housing should come out. I have the factory turbo in a 7.3 so I don't know if it is the same..

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have your return lines ever been replaced? Do any of your injectors leak? Sounds like a classic sign of air intrusion, I would replace your return lines first and try that. My truck was leaking fuel in the same place, so I replaced those lines and we were all good.

Like you I also have a turbo, so on mine I had to take the top of the air filter housing off, then take the air filter out, then there should be 2 bolts holding the bottom of the housing onto the block, and the whole housing should come out. I have the factory turbo in a 7.3 so I don't know if it is the same..

Glad to see you're passing on some of your experience, only thing I have to add is don't go replacing one fuel line at a time, just go ahead and get a quality return line kit, replace all orings (even the copper injector orings) and you will be much happier down the road;Sweet

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I began removing the airbox. The filter is so dusty. The other side has oil everywhere. Is this normal? Maybe coming from the CDR?

To the right of the turbo there is a vertical hose. It is covered/leaking oil. I think this is the same oil in the airbox.

Attachments

• 1005161411.jpg
    1005161411.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More pictures for your enjoyment and possibly to help me.

Pic 1: what is this hanging off of the injection pump? It is on like a ground screw would be connected.

Pic 2: The injector line from the filter to the pump is wet at the pump. Should I try tightening it or does it have a washer or oring to replace?

Pic 3: Oil in the airbox

Attachments

• 1005161434.jpg
    1005161434.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 1005161415_Burst02.jpg
    1005161415_Burst02.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 1005161349.jpg
    1005161349.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 10

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
1. Tamper tag. Just let's the IP shop know if someone screwed with it.
2. It has a olive, iirc.
3. It's from the cdr. You can clean it off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk