Rob's '93 at the dyno!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, ok then.

I had a similar incident after rebuilding my 6.9. It turned out to be a leak from the "goose neck" hose on top of the thermostat housing. The leak followed the engine down and traced back along the head gasket joint of the passenger side bank. Gave me a scare until I realized it was just a loose hose clamp.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Another thing that can look like a head gasket leak, on the passenger side, is a loose clamp/bad hose on the heater supply barb in the head. It will run down the head and drip off by the starter.

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there plans to do any cam changes with the turbo upgrade? I hope to build an engine for myself someday and keep going back and forth on a 90cc or 110cc IP to achieve 300 to 350 crank hp. I figure either will make the power, it will just depend on how well the rest of the engine is tuned to the fuel amount. What are your thoughts based on your platforms?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there plans to do any cam changes with the turbo upgrade? I hope to build an engine for myself someday and keep going back and forth on a 90cc or 110cc IP to achieve 300 to 350 crank hp. I figure either will make the power, it will just depend on how well the rest of the engine is tuned to the fuel amount. What are your thoughts based on your platforms?
I'm pretty sure a 90cc won't make any more than around 225 RWHP, no matter what you throw at it... I'd guess this to be somewhere around 280 crank?
A RD2-110 is supposed to be good for 300RWHP, but I've only seen 250... fully limited by the turbo.

A better cam might help, and I'd like to install one(I actually have a R&D stage 1 sitting in my living room right now), but I doubt it'll help get much above the 250 turbo-limit.

With a better turbo, I have no doubt that a RD2-110 will push more than 250, probably in the 300 range... a cam will probably help, but I don't have any a/b numbers.

Be aware, though, that putting in a cam can be a challenge. Not installing the cam, but making darn sure of your clearances beforehand.
Even a stock cam can cause pistons to hit the valves, if the heads aren't recessed properly, and the R&D cam has a higher lift. Now... it *should* work just fine, but I'd really check all the clearances before hand. Otherwise, you might end up with a tick after a few thousand miles, as your valve guide gets destroyed by the constant valve/piston interaction.
And that's the *best* case.

edit:
As far as coolant leaks go, in March I saw them on both sides of the engine equally. Sure looked like it was coming down off the headgasket.

Now, I've only noticed some 'residue' on the oil filter, having obviously run down the side and then dried.
Could be the oil cooler O-rings; I'm not sure, though it appeared to drain down the "drivers" side of the filter, not the "front" side that it would have if it came out of the O-ring... I think.

Last edited:

Pork_Chop50

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So will you still plan on tossing the s366 on or go with something else? When build time comes I will likely use the R&D factory drop in upgrade, but I would like to toss the WW2 on now just to add a little until I scrape enough to fully build a new engine. Did you ever install your Wicked Wheel?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So will you still plan on tossing the s366 on or go with something else?
The S360 is on my '88(with blown engine), and will stay on there. That's the next vehicle to get a newly built motor; this truck was bought to daily drive when that one failed.
When build time comes I will likely use the R&D factory drop in upgrade, but I would like to toss the WW2 on now just to add a little until I scrape enough to fully build a new engine. Did you ever install your Wicked Wheel?
Haven't bought a Wicked Wheel yet, though I do want one. I just haven't been able to justify it yet, what with the current setup not 'lacking' for what I need it to do now.
And not having any time to install it or worry about it.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn’t you have to put a smaller hot side on that to get it to spoil though?
On the S360, yes. .63 housing. .83 housing /sucked/. .63 housing... really wants a RD4-150 and a well built motor; the 110 cleans up so easily, it just wants more fuel.
Now, I'm not sure what was "stock", because I bought it off a forum member who didn't end up using it for his build.

That's part of the reason I've waited - I want to do that build /right/. It's going to cost me, but I so want to take a 350RWHP Bricknose IDI down to Hunting 4 Horsepower next September. :p

Pork_Chop50

Supporting Member
Reaction score
X2 I want you to take a 350 hp brick to H4H also. Someday if life allows I want to taking my own there just to say I did.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have raced my '92(banks, stock IP) with my '93(factory turbo, rd2-110) recently.. got to 65 going up a hill and floored it, started passing him slowly then faster and faster as we passed 75, evem though he was passing me when I floored it.
That's also with my '93 having a leak in the crossover pipe and only hittig 12 psi of boost now, vs the 92 hitting 16.

The extra power of the 110 is /nice/.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah!
I'll have to meet you when you are next over my way, or if I get an opportunity to go over to Montana...

------
BTW, back to the original topic...
It's now December, and the truck's still running. Replaced the throttle cable... Much more "responsive" and easier to shift smoothly from 2nd to 3rd.

She still leaks a little coolant, but I don't see much of anything in the oil... Replaced another glow plug yesterday, and she fires right up with no smoke(before she'd fire on 7 and the 8th would slowly pick up, with a bit of smoke.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, *now* it's leaking enough to be repaired!

Got to my Dad's on Friday night with a trailer load of stuff(OBS cab, 2 IDI motors, 3 drums of WVO), and heard bubbling into the overflow tank.
After unloading, I started it up and got a constant cloud of white 'smoke'... Lots of coolant there.

Trailered it back home(I had a friend driving my '92 with me at the time, so we just used the now-free trailer and drove it on).

Interestingly enough, it still sounds fine. Still starts good enough, but constant bubbling in the overflow and lots of white coolant smoke.

Anyway... Motors getting pulled. Plan is currently to drop in my $350 IDIT https://www.oilburners.net/threads/350-idit-complete-its-a-runner.82238/ and run that while I rebuild the motor in it.
Just needs head gaskets, but I do want to check the bearings and lifters and such at the same time.

I'm still pretty happy - I got a full year out of the sketchy gaskets, even after they "should have" failed. I'd say that's really darn good for 250RWHP and a cranked-up pump on stock bolts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin

Staff online

Members online