Ring gear or bendix or both

Scrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got an 84 f250 four speed manual
Almost 80 percent of the time when I shut it off and go to start it again it grinds and I have to flip the starter switch really fast to get it to catch and spin it over
Could it be the bendix or a bad flywheel ring?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bendix is designed to wear out quicker, but it could be both at the age of that trick. Only way to know is to pull the starter and look at it and the ring gear. The ring gears are replaceable on these

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does this occasionally. I had been using it for years like this, finally decided to try and fix it. I had a supposedly good starter that I swapped in place, but it had problems. Swapped out parts from the old starter and the new starter, and after going several rounds with swapping parts around, I am back to where I was with the grinding.

The one part I swapped back in that brought the problem back was the solenoid on the starter. I think there is a problem in the relationship between the solenoid contacts in the rear of the solenoid, and the mechanical linkage that throws the gear out to the flywheel. It seems the solenoid pulls back and makes electrical contact to the starter motor before the bendix is fully engaged in the teeth of the flywheel. So it makes this grinding noise.

The problem is, I see no adjustment for this in the starter. It may just be worn out parts in the mechanical linkage that throws the bendix out to the flywheel.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If you happen to have the AC Delco style of starter (short in length, large in diameter), it's most likely both. Those were the factory starters (for some unGodly reason) for the first year or so on these trucks. They were a HUGE POS and liked to take out flywheel/flexplate ring gears. I knew a guy who had one on his 1990 7.3 for some reason. He told mee that he had to replace it at leeast once a year. The easiest way to check is to drop the inspection cover on the transmission. You'll also be able to see more of the flywheel/flexplate than just through the starter hole. If you have this style of starter, get rid of it fast! You could go with a Nippendenso style starter like the F Super Dutys used. Even the Mitsubishi style starter will be a huge improvement.

Scrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does this occasionally. I had been using it for years like this, finally decided to try and fix it. I had a supposedly good starter that I swapped in place, but it had problems. Swapped out parts from the old starter and the new starter, and after going several rounds with swapping parts around, I am back to where I was with the grinding.

The one part I swapped back in that brought the problem back was the solenoid on the starter. I think there is a problem in the relationship between the solenoid contacts in the rear of the solenoid, and the mechanical linkage that throws the gear out to the flywheel. It seems the solenoid pulls back and makes electrical contact to the starter motor before the bendix is fully engaged in the teeth of the flywheel. So it makes this grinding noise.

The problem is, I see no adjustment for this in the starter. It may just be worn out parts in the mechanical linkage that throws the bendix out to the flywheel.
I have bought 2 solonoids the ones that are on the starter it keeps burning the small screw and melting it in half where it goes through the hole where the strip goes into the starter. Not even cranking it long enough to in my mind to get it hot I am going to change the starter going to auto zone they have one for 150 xchange anyone had good luck with the 150 dollar starter

Scrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just pulled mine off had two teeth broke on the bendix and the brass bushing in the nosecone half way out and the buss bar touching the starter housing man I can't believe that it even worked as good as it did very simple to pull off starter weighs a ton very heavy built

Scrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you happen to have the AC Delco style of starter (short in length, large in diameter), it's most likely both. Those were the factory starters (for some unGodly reason) for the first year or so on these trucks. They were a HUGE POS and liked to take out flywheel/flexplate ring gears. I knew a guy who had one on his 1990 7.3 for some reason. He told mee that he had to replace it at leeast once a year. The easiest way to check is to drop the inspection cover on the transmission. You'll also be able to see more of the flywheel/flexplate than just through the starter hole. If you have this style of starter, get rid of it fast! You could go with a Nippendenso style starter like the F Super Dutys used. Even the Mitsubishi style starter will be a huge improvement.
Thank you very much
I went with the nippendenso style and you saved an argument at the parts counter when I opened the box and seen it ..

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Thank you very much
I went with the nippendenso style and you saved an argument at the parts counter when I opened the box and seen it ..
If your old starter weighed a ton like you said that it did, then it was the Delco-Remy one. I'll bet it's at least twice as heavy as the Mitsubishi ones. The lightest ones are the Nippendenso style that you bought. They also spin the engine over the fastese. I have no idea why they only came out stick on the F Super Duty trucks and not all of them (after they were first being used). I like the one I have on my truck. Someday, I need to remember to buy another one to have around for a spare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster