Replumb my OEM FF to vacuum side or not?

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
84' f-250 6.9 IDI

I've been running my rig sharing the OEM fuel filter with WO and #2, I have a few thousand miles on it and I can get my fuel temps in the 180F range in the dead of winter with no problems.

I'm looking at making some improvements to my system to increase longevity and reliability of the system as a whole. I'm seeing that many installers that are using the mechanical lift pumps still are replumbing the OEM fuel filter to be BEFORE the lift pump, vacuum side vs. pressure side. What is the reason for this? Pros and cons?

I'm thinking of maybe installing a separate heated filtration system for my wvo and moving my FSV into the engine compartment. I may also loop my return lines, but I seem to have an excess of heat with a Artic Fox, 36 plate FPHE and a VegTherm Mega.

Also what would be the harm of adding an electrical fuel pump pre mechanical and operating it via toggle switch to help with clearing air from the lines?

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the benefit is that it filters the crap out of the fuel before it reaches youre pump etc so it does not scar up and wear it out etc.

Cons would be pressure drop? i dont know i have never really cared. Filter the bejesus out of it before it goes into the tank and it will be less likely to be an issue.

AzTraveller

Reaction score
the benefit is that it filters the crap out of the fuel before it reaches youre pump etc so it does not scar up and wear it out etc.

Cons would be pressure drop? i dont know i have never really cared. Filter the bejesus out of it before it goes into the tank and it will be less likely to be an issue.
Well stated. If you have your pump at the beginning, expect to replace the pump after awhile. :backoff

The more you filter it, the less your "on-board" filter has to filter (the longer your on-board filter will last), and the less chance of being on the road when you have to change that filter, if at all. ;Sweet

I would believe that if you were to place a vacuum gauge after each filter, will tell you when and which filter, you need to change. :D

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
i filter down to 1 micron nominal - given that the filters are 6 micron I think I'm OK. I'm looking for a cheap used Vormax - if/when I find one I mind replumb everything- for now shared has gotten me through winter fine. And it's been -20 here...

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just dont use paper type of filters before the pump. paper is for after the pump, strainer type is before the pump.

AzTraveller

Reaction score
I was looking at filter assemblies at HomeDepot the other day, similar to the filters (?) I saw one of you had shown pics of. I was having problems determining what the micron level of filtering was on the various cartridges. Only one brand stated 1micron, all the others weren't listing it. They had numerous nice cases there, including one that looked like it would hold a gallon of liquid, and it was transparent.

Where do you guys order your various "size" filter cartridges from?

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm.. I use a Racor fg 900 and the factory filter.. With the racors it MUST be on the vacuum pulling side not the pressure pushing side otherwise they are crap... Mine works very well. Other things to watch out for are GPM flow ratings. I Have never thought twice since they are intended for big diesels i figure our "little" strokers would be ok..

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
84' f-250 6.9 IDI

I've been running my rig sharing the OEM fuel filter with WO and #2, I have a few thousand miles on it and I can get my fuel temps in the 180F range in the dead of winter with no problems.

I'm looking at making some improvements to my system to increase longevity and reliability of the system as a whole. I'm seeing that many installers that are using the mechanical lift pumps still are replumbing the OEM fuel filter to be BEFORE the lift pump, vacuum side vs. pressure side. What is the reason for this? Pros and cons?

I'm thinking of maybe installing a separate heated filtration system for my wvo and moving my FSV into the engine compartment. I may also loop my return lines, but I seem to have an excess of heat with a Artic Fox, 36 plate FPHE and a VegTherm Mega.

Also what would be the harm of adding an electrical fuel pump pre mechanical and operating it via toggle switch to help with clearing air from the lines?

Peace! :angel:

After my initial conversion three years ago of my truck both fuels ran through the stock filter. Then two years ago I upgraded and added a separate heated VO filter. What an improvement. :hail Best benefit is if the VO filter clogs while on the road, just flip to diesel and you're still on the road. :thumbsup: Looped return on WMO or WVO is a good thing. In my Mercedes I added an Airtex 12v aux lift pump on the diesel side. When I need to re-prime the car the 12v pump makes it so easy. ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online