replacing lifter, i think

snoredog

Reaction score
Well me and dad took the truck to Allstar International off I-75 to get an idea what the problem was. Did all the tests I found on here and it looks to be be exhaust valve related, not the injectors. But I'm new to these engines so i dont know enough about them to be sure of anything. Tapping sound from under the passenger side valve cover increases in loudness and frequency with rpm increase. Anyways the service manager thought it was valve related when he came out to troubleshoot for us. My dad knows the guy and trusts him, but I dont know him good enough to take his word for it and stick it in the shop for $80 an hour. Another mechanic was on a smoke break and walked over and swears up and down its a lifter. He said something about a snap ring coming off or breaking loose and letting stuff slap the rocker arm or something like that. I have never seen the inside of one of these engines so I dont know what exactly he is talking about. So the service mangaer did some calculations and figured it was gonna run around $300 to fix everything if the lifter was the problem. I dont have much money to spare but I'm gonna have some free time later in the week to work on it if I knew what to do. I have done some moderate gas engine work but nothing on a diesel. Any diagrams or pictures or instructions would be greatly appreciated. I am driving my blue truck so there is no major hurry, but gas is killing me. Any and all help would come in handy. If there is a walkthrough or guide to replacing a lifter or anything related to it, that would be awesome.
Thanks in advance

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you can hold the shop that quoted to $300.00 to a firm bid then I say go for it. Thats cheap for going that far into the motor. If you didn't have a turbo on it things would be really simple. Getting the turbo off will be the hard part. First off the motor is the battery cables. Then the injection pump and hard lines. DO NOT REMOVE THE TIMING GEAR COVER... Thats the half round cover that has the gear in it. Just remove the 3 5/16 bolts that hold the pump to the gear. You will find 3 9/16 nuts on the flange that holds the pump to the gear cover. It requires a special wrench to get them. Once thats done remove the intake manifold and there before you are all the lifters. Check them carefully because you don't want to be going back in again for another lifter. A new set of lifters can be bought for around $150.00 all day long on Ebay. The same lifter fits the chevy 6.2, 6.5 and most powerstrokes. Northern Autoparts has about the cheapest price on a set of 16. Falcon Global and Diesel Direct both in Florida are good on prices too. You will need a new intake manifold gasket. They are one time use only. Ebay has one now at around $10.00. They run as high as $75.00. I like the Felpro type but others like the cheapest they can find. Its your call. Plenty of help here and maybe someone lives close buy that will dro in for assistance if needed. Mark the injection pump before you remove it. Then you wont need to retime it. I use a center punch on ths joint so it matches up when things go back together. Mel taught me that neat idea.

snoredog

Reaction score
Well the guy figured 2 to 3 hours labor at $80 per hour. I wonder how he got $300 though with all those parts thrown in there. What kind of wrench do i need for the IP bolts? At this point I dont know whether to do all that and fix it or try and sell the truck. Even that engine compartment is too crowded for me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance