Replacing E4OD Torque Converter Cost

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
guess i need to up my prices then.but i do get 250.00 to r&r a tranny as easy as this.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Since we've been having issues with people making their point clear on here lately, I must admit I need you to clarify your statement. lol I don't understand which side of the fence your on. :dunno

As I said, I called 2 shops today and they both were around $500 for the job minus parts, and neither of them said they'd get it done in one day.

just screwing with you man. If your willing to do that job outside during winter you can charge him whatever you want. I promise I would charge more to do it in the snow.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Lol. I was being honest, I didn't understand how you thought about the deal. I'm assuming you meant you thought $400 was quite a bit for it. I'm going off of the other shops prices I got quoted today to judge my price off of. If they want over $500 for it then I'd say $400 is a fair deal, but I'm not sure. I'm not looking to screw the guy, he asked me to do it because I'm familiar with these trucks, and he knows I'm honest. I won't "find" any mysterious problems that arent related to the issue.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
guess i need to up my prices then.but i do get 250.00 to r&r a tranny as easy as this.

Hell man, I'm just going off of the prices quoted by the shops here and adjusting them for the fact that I'm not a pro and I'll have to do it on my free time that is also valuable to me. Ya know what I mean. Personally I'd love to see more shops around here have prices like you quote.
Do you wanna come over here and replace the head gasket in my brown truck for me? haha

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell man, I'm just going off of the prices quoted by the shops here and adjusting them for the fact that I'm not a pro and I'll have to do it on my free time that is also valuable to me. Ya know what I mean. Personally I'd love to see more shops around here have prices like you quote.
Do you wanna come over here and replace the head gasket in my brown truck for me? haha

i know.its just the prices that shops charge **** me off.when i had my shop i was able to pay my rent and have enough play money to have some fun from 1 customer by charging low prices.this is one of the reasons i have a hard time finding a job.the sad part is people would rather pay the shops high prices.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Come on. Next time someone walks into your shop wanting that service performed, make sure you remember your quote. Don't worry I completely expect you to change your price for a real customer walking into your shop, so I won't hold you to that. Seriously, I called 2 shops after work today and asked what they would charge to replace the torque converter on a 92 F350 diesel with a 2wd E4OD and they both were within a few dollars of eachother at +-$500. I'll add that neither of them said they would have it done in one day and neither said that price included any parts (those prices assumed I was going to supply the TC).

Heck, my boss doesn't allow me or anyone else to service our shop truck (an 06 F350 PSD) so I have to take it to a "reputable diesel mechanic" for even oil changes. The last oil change it got (which also included a new air filter) cost $421 and change. I know because I paid the bill with my company credit card when I picked the truck up.

I'll consider the $400 charge being a fair one since I'm not a professional mechanic, and I'd be doing the service outside in the cold and snow.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Some dealers will charge around $700. plus the parts to change a converter.:eek:

I usually go between 4 and 500 bucks to change a converter. depends on the project. If the complain, I will tell them to "take it to the dealer". It stops the whining pretty quick.LOL

Because you work on rusty Fords.:D You will most likely have it done in less than a day. Give it a day for issues. (Like running out of beer, or coffee in my case.:rotflmao)

It's not really a hard project. Providing it doesn't snow.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online