Removing the engine and transmission together

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1987 F350 4x4 with a C6 that I would like to pull the engine and transmission without separating. I have removed the transfer case. I have the front clip and radiator support removed. Is it possible to pull the engine and trans together, or should I drop the transmission from the bottom and pull the engine. I have a cherry picker at the house, but have access to a gantry crane if needed. Thanks for any advice.

Archie

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
if you have a stout enough cherry picker that could lift up high enough, then I dont see why not, but that engine weighs about 1000 lbs by itself and if you look at the rating on your cherry picker, it will have a max rating with the arm all the way IN and a much lower rating with the arm extended, and , sorry, but you are going to need extended to get that sucker up and out of there, Start hanging a tranny along with it and youve got quite a load on there .

If you have a gantry with a chainfall that isnt going to fold up on you with all that hanging off it, that might be a better option, its not going to roll very easily once you get the load on it.

sassyrel

Reaction score
if you have a stout enough cherry picker that could lift up high enough, then I dont see why not, but that engine weighs about 1000 lbs by itself.

i weighed,,a full on,,7.3 with hair dryer,,when i got home from nj with it. 1037 lbs.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
With the front clip removed you will have no problem. Done that before.
Do yourself a favor and loosen the torque converter bolts before you pull the engine.

Last edited:

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Done it 2X by myself. Always seperate trans and pull engine only. Trans I let down with floor jack if I need to remove. 1 hour Job for me solo on the floor crawling around.

Javier

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This depends on a number of things...

First is your Picker or Gantry a quality unit?

If so with no clip...bonus this will be simple to do...however getting either gantry or picker to move is not easy, perhaps easier to roll truck backwards????

I'd do it myself if it was a choice...to do this.

Just saying...make sure if you do this and have to move crane/picker...sweep that area super super super clean so not a single grain of sand to stop you and cause an incident...

JM2CW

Al