Removing muffler on a 6.0L

camoman

Reaction score
I have heard of guys removing the muffler all together on a 6L stock exhaust sytem.. has anyone done this? Is it really loud? any performace increase?

rgdillon

Junior Newbie
Reaction score
camoman said:
I have heard of guys removing the muffler all together on a 6L stock exhaust sytem.. has anyone done this? Is it really loud? any performace increase?

I don't actually know of anyone who has removed it on a 6.0L. I'm sure that there would be a slight gain without the restriction though. How much - maybe not enough to really notice.

Ron

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this dump truck i had today that i did a crank seal on 03 6.0 F450 DRW had some sort of aftermarket exhaust on it,pretty sure it was piping from the turbo to a muffler and then on out, it wasnt long and exited well in front of the rear wheels. IMO sounded like ****, all that you really hear from the exhaust was turbine whistle, it got droning anoying and such. i think with just the cat on a 6.0 truck you may expiernce some slight turbo whistle drone, or what ever you want to call it. IMO just get a full turbo back system from a company, if you dont wanna fork that kinda money out id leave well alone...

if you must do it i dont think it would be terribly loud, you have a turbo and a cat to muffler the sound of exhaust, and as long as it exits behind the rear tire you may get rid of the turbo whistle drone

TooMuchBoost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did it on my 03. It sounded good IMO, EGT's dropped a little (75 degrees maybe?) and it seemed like it spooled up slightly faster (but nothing like the turbo response of adding an exhaust to a 7.3).

I would do it again and well before I dropped $400+ on an exhaust system.

camoman

Reaction score
ya that is what I have heard.. I know a couple guys locally that have done this and they love it!

strokin

Reaction score
I did it to mine. Not much louder in the cab, but outside it's pretty loud. EGT's are also down. When you get on it and rpm's are up around 2500 to 3000 it has a grunt kinda like a big block. I like and I would do it again

JohnBoyToo

Reaction score
I also did it on my 03 Ex as a stop gap to try and reduce EGT's...
but then I drove myself crazy from the drone on long trips...
I then opted for a turbo back exhaust which performed much better IN MY CASE....

What i experienced was great sound around town even though REAL LOUD when I ran hard, but when in the Excursion for hours on a trip @ SPEED, it would wear you out... we would almost have to yell to the passengers in the back of the Ex :eek:

In the SD trucks it may be acceptable, but in the Ex, with the LONG "cabin" over the length of the exhaust it was just too loud...

agree it did lower egt's AND weight since the stock **** looks like it weighs about 200 lbs :) :) :)

TooMuchBoost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
strokin said:
I did it to mine. Not much louder in the cab, but outside it's pretty loud. EGT's are also down. When you get on it and rpm's are up around 2500 to 3000 it has a grunt kinda like a big block. I like and I would do it again

I agree.

I have a buddy that dropped the cat, did a Y just before the cab meets the bed, dropped the muffler and exited out each side of the spare. This sounded like a sweet mufflerless big block but it was LOUD and it had turbo drone.

When he jumped on it I could hear him when he was a mile away and that was through a lot of trees and a few subdivisions. :eek: :eek: ;Sweet

camoman

Reaction score
The thing I am worried about is the long haul noise.. I do a lot of highway driving as well and I don't really want to hear it that much.. but I would love it around town!!

should I do it?!?!

camoman

Reaction score
sweet I might just giver a try.. I mean worst case is I buy a new exhaust system or put the old **** back in?!?!

JohnBoyToo

Reaction score
I went in between with the new 05 - put the Walker BTM in place of the stock boat anchor....
Only $60 or so...

TooMuchBoost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JohnBoyToo said:
I went in between with the new 05 - put the Walker BTM in place of the stock boat anchor....
Only $60 or so...

This might be the plan because a muffler delete pipe new is $60 if I recall. I bought mine used for $30 to the door.

camoman

Reaction score
so if you buy this muffler delete pipe is it somthing that somone can do on there own??