Removed cruise control now brakes make funny noise

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I know... Just when you think you've heard everything :rotflmao

I removed the bulky cruise control diaphragm today. None of it was working and it freed up a lot of space under the hood ;Sweet

There's a vacuum hose that goes from the coffee can to the cruise diaphragm. From the cruiser diaphragm a hose goes into the cab for the heater controls etc. With the cruise control components removed I took the hose for the heater controls and plugged it directly into the coffee can (basically bypassing the cruise control stuff). Still with me?

Seemed fine until I went on a test drive. Now when I press the brakes I get a sssswwwwwwwiiiiiiiisshhhhhhhh sound for a few seconds every time I push the petal. Everything seems fine and works great....just makes noise :dunno cookoo

Any ideas? I guess I could put everything back in place, but I really don't want to if I can do without.

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Usually noise like that is a bad booster.
Could just be by chance it is going bad.

Or you have a leak somewhere.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On IDI trucks with vacuum cruise the only hose that comes out from the cruise servo and heads into the cab is used for emergency vacuum dump when you step on the brakes - its purpose is to bypass the cruise control brain and disengage the cruise manually in case the cruise brain doesn't see (or just ignores) any input from BOO switch. If your vacuum dump switch takes a dump on you you just pull the hose off the cruise servo and cap the port and you can temporarily use cruise again till you can get a new dump switch.

In your case since you removed the entire cruise system you no longer have any use for either that hose or for that matter the entire coffee can - pull the whole works and call it good. Don't worry, your HVAC will still work properly - its vacuum source is actually a small black plastic tube that runs together with the wires in that big harness on top of your heater plenum with the blower motor, and it also has its own vacuum reservoir (it's the bulge on the inboard side of the plenum with the A/C evap core inside it, the black box like 3" away from your passenger-side valve cover, has a small vacuum line plugged in it from the top).

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch you guys. LCAM-01XA you nailed it! For some reason I was thinking that hose was for the heater controls haha. Anyway I unplugged it from the coffee can and capped it off. Everything works and no more noise ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online