redoing fuel lines with steel??

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have my bed off and tanks out, planning on running just the front side tank and getting rid of the switch and rear tank and crap. thing is i was planning on running new steel lines, but if i do what do i do at the tank end where it uses the weird clips, can i just use rubber hose and claps or will the deisel eat thru rbber hose?? or what would be the better idea??

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel will not hurt the rubber hose, as long as you get the hose that says "fuel" on it. Don't get vacuum line.

I did this to a dump truck we have, but I re-used the plastic lines at the tank. I heated the end of the new metal line with a heat gun, and then slipped the plastic up over it, and then clamped it. I then ran pieces of new metal universal line all the way to the front pass corner of the engine. I used two pieces with a coupler right in the rear middle of the frame crossmember under the engine.

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ruber will be fine. If it has disconnect style clips at the fuel sender just slip the hose over the ridge and clamp it. When I make new fuel lines out of steel I use a brake flare tool to put a half flare on the end of the new steel line so there's a barb for the hose to slip over. Just make sure you file it down a little bit so there's not a sharp edge left from the flare tool.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as we're talking pump diesel only regular fuel rated rubber hose will be fine, but if you think you might ever use fuel cocktails(WVO, WMO etc) or high blends of biodiesel you should get fuel injection rated hose. It's expensive but for only those couple of connections it's not THAT expensive and it certainly is worth the peace of mind.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any parts store just tell them that you need fuel injection hose. personaly i like autozones fi hose it has a blue liner on the inside of the hose

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, so i need fuel injection hose. i want to run the best of everything, keep the fuel system clean and air free..