red instrument light?

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
i want to change my 92 instrument cluster to illuminate red. does anyone know how to go about doing this? simply changing to red bulbs doesnt work. just thought id ask before i tore into things.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
The green is a tint in the cluster skin itself.....your options on how to change to red are pretty much null short of finding aftermarket cluster skin.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
The green is a tint in the cluster skin itself.....your options on how to change to red are pretty much null short of finding aftermarket cluster skin.

He's right, but you may be able to get the green tint off, like David did on his truck (his was an 85 IIRC).

travelinman31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how you would go about it with your truck, but I just did mine in red yesterday. Not sure how I like it yet as I haven't had the truck on the road with the new red lights. I'll take some pictures and post for you to see the outcome.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC there is a big blue/green lens that is inside the cluster that the bulbs light passes through thus getting the tint...I suppose you could try removing the blue/green part and get some red bulbs or paint em red and try that....always LEDs as an option too..

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about leaving the greenish blue tint and putting in blue bulbs or blue LEDs for a blue cluster? How would that work with green tint??

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I happen to be in the middle of a dashboard swap... I've already got the instrument cluster off and would love to find out about changing the illumination to a red or maybe a deep orange color before I put it all back together again... That would be awesome to do...

Is it risky to split the cluster case?

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
the nice thing about our clusters is they are modular. the needles come off easy enough as well, just be sure to put it back on the same spot it came off. I used some upolstly glue to put the face back on the cluster.

i never put that cluster in my truck...one of those things i forgot about.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Optikalillushun, have you pulled the needles off before? How did you do it?

Never mind, I wonder if the '92 - 97' are any different?

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Take a look at the link i posted, just pull it straight off. I just marked the face with a dab of white paint pen to mark the spot it was resting at. btw that was for use on my 93 F-150. same as the fellas aski here.

Last edited:

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, looks easy enough to do... Were you able to do the same with the color of the needles?

I was just wondering, because in your pictures, where the needle was, it looks as if the face piece is actually clear blue green plastic... Thanks again...

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I know the early 80's just had green condoms, remove those and use red bulbs, I tried red bulbs in my 97 but it was to dark.