Recirculating Return Line Fuel?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that's a fine bit of information. In north west Florida here, because of the temps I run about a 90 to 95% WMO, whats your opinion about that overcoming the lubrication issue? This reducing friction and heat...... maybe?

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking too about the fuel gelling issues, and maybe returning heated fuel to the tank may be beneficial when it gets cold. I would not appreciate the discovery of a tankfull of gelled fuel about 5 miles after sucking my fuel filter dry.

Hopefully, the gelling is kinda like a glass of ice water. As long as there's some liquid in there, I can get it. Returning warmed fuel would melt even more gel back to liquid fuel.

No experience with this...just speculating.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I was thinking too about the fuel gelling issues, and maybe returning heated fuel to the tank may be beneficial when it gets cold. I would not appreciate the discovery of a tankfull of gelled fuel about 5 miles after sucking my fuel filter dry.

Hopefully, the gelling is kinda like a glass of ice water. As long as there's some liquid in there, I can get it. Returning warmed fuel would melt even more gel back to liquid fuel.

I had an old guy tell me years ago that this is true. Was he right or full of you-know-what? I don't know, but it does make sense.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Gelling isn't an issue with WMO, now with wvo your concern is legit.....I think . I will say that because of my willy-nilly way of doing WMO I have depended on the return as a way to "homogenize" what's in my tank. But I'm trying to get more disciplined and consistent, I'll get there.

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gelling isn't an issue with WMO, now with wvo your concern is legit.....I think . I will say that because of my willy-nilly way of doing WMO I have depended on the return as a way to "homogenize" what's in my tank. But I'm trying to get more disciplined and consistent, I'll get there.
For southern boys like us it ain't an issue. Up north though regular diesel fuel does gel up though depending on climate.

Never-Have-I-Ether

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that's a fine bit of information. In north west Florida here, because of the temps I run about a 90 to 95% WMO, whats your opinion about that overcoming the lubrication issue? This reducing friction and heat...... maybe?
Oil would be a better lubricant then ULSD. But wmo needs to have a lot of filtration done to it to be clean enough to be considered a fuel IMO. If it's not clean, you'll likely do more harm then ulsd even with oil's better lubrication properties.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not super scientific with my filtration, some people would probably cry if they saw my setup. But I promise, it's fuel....makes the ole' truck go. I've been doing it for a year, and there's nothing I can point at and say, "that happened because I use WMO".

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score

The problem with this is condensation. Even if it all don't freeze, the condensation will introduce enough water to do the same damage.
Gelled fuel is gelled fuel.
It's not fun either way.
The best thing to do is add antigel at every fill up. You can't always trust winter blend fuel.

Rock

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not super scientific with my filtration, some people would probably cry if they saw my setup. But I promise, it's fuel....makes the ole' truck go. I've been doing it for a year, and there's nothing I can point at and say, "that happened because I use WMO".
If the oil is clean enough not to do damage to the injection pump, it should be clean enough to re-use in the engine. WMO will damage your pump over time. I remember a thread on here where one of the pump rebuild companies were having to charge more for rebuilds because the WMO was ruining the cores.

But if it's saving you money and you have a supply of pumps, it may be worth it.

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I didn't do the recirculating fuel line, I don't know for sure. However it would be nice if someone experimented it to see how the truck behaves. If you T'd it somewhere again before the fuel selector you could have an aux tank as a tank instead of a feeder. Good point though on the heating fuel.

Never-Have-I-Ether

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm going to do it. I deleted the water separator and put a piece of hose there, so my tenitive plan is to put the "t" right there.(NOT Mr. T) since the fuel return is right there too. It'll be a week or so, I'm roofing my house and I've personally stopped heaven and earth to roof this thing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online