Rebuilding the front end of my F250 4x4

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, IP and injectors are in, all leaks taken care off, starts with ease cold, great power. Now time to tackle the next project, making sure my truck goes straight!

I have tons of play in my steering wheel. Driving down the 1000 mile skinny two lane road in Baja sucks! I call it active steering, no matter what direction you go, you are always steering it somewhere!

So I'm going through Rock Auto picking out parts and have one problem. I'm not sure what front end I have. I know I have the TTB but I've been offered the choice of 3850lb axle and the 4600lb axle. My truck is a 92 F250 Custom. It's lifted 4in all the way around.

Also, I can't find the part that goes from the gear box to the drag link, which I believe is the pitman arm right? And do I need a dropped on since I have lifted??

The other option is this: http://www.superlift.com/accessories/superunner.asp

Thanks for all the help in advance!!

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
should be a dana 50 so i would say 4600lb axle. and u are right on the part from the steering box to the drag link, it is a pitman arm. u will need a dropped arm since it is lifted but it should be on already if it was lifted with an actual kit.

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm picking up 4 ball joints, tie rod ends, steering stabilizer, drag link, and pitman arm. Is there anything else I should think about getting? Truck has 148,000 miles on it.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Since u are doing ball joints might wanna check out the spindle bearing and wheel bearings. Also, the front axle pivot bushings. That should cover most everything.

BTW, why are u getting a pitman arm? they usually dont wear unless u dont have the proper dropped arm. And while u are there, re-torque all the drop bracket bolts to make sure they are still tight. They sometimes work loose.