Rebuild Kit for banks sidewinder, bearings don't fit?!!

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, when I was rebuilding my turbo, the bearing I got from my rebuild kit didn't fit onto the wheel shaft. So I used the old bearings that had just about no wear. I toasted the bearings when I started it because the oil in the feed line wasn't there and the turbo ran with no oil:mad:.

Question is: Is there a special way to put new bearings on? Why didn't mine fit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd...134046&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1638wt_937

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
As long as your kit is the same as the one you linked to, it should fit (mine was the same). The bearings for the Sidewinder and the earlier non wastegated unit are very different in size. Any chance you got sent the wrong one? Did it come with the gasket for the bolt on type downpipe?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And again, welcome to the BANKS mitsubishi turbo saga. Thats why I wont sell any parts for them. My supplier always needs samples to match.

And I cant compete with ebay, when I do one the kit is almost 3 times that amount ,my cost, but it fits

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
To say it simply you got the wrong kit. When you get the correct kit make sure you pour some oil into the turbo from the feed side and watch it drop out the bottom. Spin the wheels some to run it into the bearings and seal areas. Make sure the feed line at the block is clear if you have just now installed a trubo. Crude can build upin that blind hole when all you have there is a pressure sender. Oil does not flow thru a sender. It just presses "stuff" up against it... Crude will build up without washing away.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything fit except for the the bearings. They were all in separate bags so it could have easily gotten mixed up. I sent a message to the seller.

My old bearings were seemed fine so I used them, I also used alot of assembly grease when putting it together. As I pulled it off the truck again and tore the turbo down, my bearings still look ok only small scores I can't barely feel with my fingernails. How do I know this is the problem and not something else?

As I examined the impeller and shield thingy right behind it, I saw score marks on the shield thingy and impeller and it seemed to make the same kind of noise I was hearing when the truck was running. Is there any chance that the shield was crooked or off center somehow??(those marks were not there before)

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I quote from the May 2011 issue of Diesel World Magazine.

"Special care is needed to preserve the turbo on that first startup. The little bit of oil you applied on assembly isn't enough for operation, even for a short time at idle. The best procedure is to leave the oil line off to prevent the engine from starting, but crank it over until you get oil from the line. Then, hook up the oil line and crank the engine in 15-second increments three times giving the starter time to cool down in between. That ensures that the unit has received a good amount of oil. At the least, use an oil gun to pump a good amount of motor oil in through the oil inlet before you start."

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I assemble with motor oil, then pump the turbo full after installation. Then hook up the line as described.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, Welcome to BANKS not supporting something they dont sell anymore

your thinking of ATS.
banks still offers and sells all the parts for their sidewinder turbo systems.
im dealing with them right now to gather parts missing from a used kit,and they have been class a support even though they know i went used and just need a few parts.
snapon didn't go through banks.he went to ebay to save $.this is no fault of banks lol.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your thinking of ATS.
im dealing with them right now to gather parts missing from a used kit,and they have been class a support even though they know i went used and just need a few parts.
snapon didn't go through banks.he went to ebay to save $.this is no fault of banks lol.

They're great until they actually sell you the part. Then try and get hold of somebody to ask a question about it!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ask typ4 anything about turbos... He knows what most others forgot... Thats not a brag... Just a fact.... P.S.... Hes a nice guy too. You should meet him at the big west coast calvins bq in the lower bay area... About 2 blocks from the san jose airport...If you wanted tofly in for some good eats and sippen brew...:sly

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your thinking of ATS.
wrong.
Banks uses proprietary parts. Mitsubishi turbo will manufacture to anyone's specs. ATS uses a off-the-shelf Garrett cartridge. THAT IS A CRITICAL DIFFERENCE between the two. housings are an issue rarely. Center sections are a whole other animal. they are a wear item. I sell off other turbo brands when I buy a truck. I keep all ATS wastegated kits due to the survivability of the parts in the long run.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, problem was that the bearings he sent me were machined 10 under. He is sending the new ones, should be here tomorrow.

Just to be clear, Banks has always been on top of things when I called them. I could have bought a whole center section but didn't need it. I needed alot of parts from them when I first did my kit, there wasn't one part they didn't have. All you guys trashing the Banks don't have a banks unit.

I don't understand what is so special about ATS customer service?? They have a website that has been messed up for as long as I can remember and they don't support ANY parts for the 085, 088, or 093 kits. So I don't know why you guys are bashing banks??

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont use grease to assemble, use engine oil.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin