Rebuild Kit for banks sidewinder, bearings don't fit?!!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before you do that let me get a cartridge price from my supplier. I bet its fixable I have a machine shop that can hone the housing for oversize bushings, Even new they are pretty loose but yours is obviously really worn.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rebuilder says he can do it for $450, he said the exhaust bearing was very loose and there was a bunch of little things wrong.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rebuilder says he can do it for $450, he said the exhaust bearing was very loose and there was a bunch of little things wrong.

Well, it was worth a try, and now you know your turbo guts a whole lot better.

The one thing we should probably step back on regarding turbo's... they aren't your standard bolt together part. Slapping them together actually involves some fine measurements. Between the bearings, race and blade tolerances, they're pretty sensitive units.

I'm not trying to lecture anyone, just re-reading some of my own rantings and figuring some repairs are just better left to fellas like typ4.

As an amateur clock maker, I could probably fix Big Ben, but never my Timex. Same with my truck and why I gave up the tranny to someone elses skill sets. Sometimes we don't know until we know.

The good thing out of this is, now someone intimately knows their equipment a whole lot better. Bad thing $$$$$$ and time lost.

I really appreciate your keeping us all updated on your turbo snaponprofile.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm usually under the premise of fixing (or trying to fix) anything, however, I have to say that I'd send a turbo to Russ before I split one open myself. This is based solely on the fact that he can (and does) know the difference between "good parts" and "cheap parts", and the fact that these turbo's can be tempermental little b@stards.

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Damn I gotta raise my price.:D
Thats not too bad really for a mainline shop.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rebuilder says he cant get the correct bearings from his supplier in less than two weeks, he is gonna use my old bear oi ngs and see if it works, if not he says he cant do it.:(

Type4, can I send it to you if this other guy falls through? Pm price, thanks so much.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can do but cant quote till it is in hand, it will be very fair tho.

And the two weeks is funny, when I worked at JFK, everything was "2 weeks".

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I ended up getting bearings from ronsturboservice(great guy with loads of knowledge) and sending them to the reduilder. He machined out the housing and ran the turbo on his tester and he said it tested perfect.

Scroll products was the rebuilder, he did a nice job on this turbo and really made it nice. He only charged $400 for the rebuild too. Great guy, I highly recommend him.

http://site.scrollproducts.com/en/home

You must be registered for see images attach

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW!WEEEEEEE!!!! :love:

That's purdy!

Let us know how it works installed.... then I might give him a call myself! I did a nice long tow this weekend and may be more ready for a turbo than I realized! :sly :love:

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the first video, it is running.:) Runs great and smooth, and boost high.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ooooooooooooooooo...... that video! :rolleyes:

I thought it was just a pic... no "play" triangles in the original post on my end.... sorry, didn't get it.

Smooooooooth sounding.