Rear wheel bearings

Ned

Reaction score
So I am concidering replacing the rear end all together. This spindle is just to F'd up, I don't trust it. I found a rear end from a 91 for $350. Is that the same as a 95? i thought there was a slight difference. what about rear end from a 99 with disk brakes?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Ned,

The one from the 91, if it like for like (such as both from a SWR Truck, or Both Duallys) it looks like in your avatar pic you have a SRW, it is a SWR axle it should bolt right up, and your current wheels will work. The axle from a dually is wider (by something like 3-4 inches) than a SWR axle. It may bolt up, but your wheels wouldn't work. You could convert the truclk to a dually this way, but you wouls also need a dually bed, and the adapters or hubs for the front to run the dually wheels.

A 99+ axle will be a 10.50 Sterling not a 10.25 Sterling. Also, the lug pattern is different. Your wheels will NOT match. The pre-99 hubs are 8x6.5" the 99+ (superduty) are 8x170mm.

Ned

Reaction score
input

Well i haven't had time to work on the truck lately but i did find a full float Dana 60, brand new for $700. Anyone know how well this will match up? would it be a better or worse rear end?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Well i haven't had time to work on the truck lately but i did find a full float Dana 60, brand new for $700. Anyone know how well this will match up? would it be a better or worse rear end?

Well, if it came from an early F series truck (1980 - and up) then it will bolt in.

The speedo won't work, because the speedo sensor was in the housing in 1987 - up trucks on the ABS tone ring in the rearend.

If your spindle was THAT screwed up, I wouldn't bother trying to reuse it. 9 times out of 10 when a bearing fails that badly it causes a LOT of damage to the spindle, can sometimes break axle shafts and usually your brakes on that side are shot (as a bearing usually fails from lack of lube due to a blown seal, and the oil soaks into the brakes)

I don't know where you are located, but I would look for a 1987 - 1997 F250/F350 sterling 10.25 rearend. You have one spare hub, maybe two depending on how bad the bearing failed. You have a spare carrier, ring and pinion, yoke, axle shafts and a diff cover.

This is my opinion and what I would do if I were in your shoes.

It sucks, I know.....no one knows more abotu broken parts than I do....all teh mods in my signature wern't done because I WANTED to...:rolleyes:

sassyrel

Reaction score

Ned

Reaction score
So iam in the process of swapping out rear ends and id like to change gear ratio. If i took the gear carrier and the ring and pinion with the shims from one axle can i put it in a different differential with out doing the backlash? I sure it would be best to check and be sure. What about the front? is it much different.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
So iam in the process of swapping out rear ends and id like to change gear ratio. If i took the gear carrier and the ring and pinion with the shims from one axle can i put it in a different differential with out doing the backlash? I sure it would be best to check and be sure. What about the front? is it much different.

You need a couple specialized tools for doing rearend work. One to measure backlash and one to check for pinion depth. If you get the wrong pattern on the gears (wear spots) it will tear the rearend up within an oil change.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score

You need a couple specialized tools for doing rearend work. One to measure backlash and one to check for pinion depth. If you get the wrong pattern on the gears (wear spots) it will tear the rearend up within an oil change.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Like goofy said. there are special tools and the job is NOT for a novice . Take it somewhere and pay to have it done. If not, you will REALLY pay when it fails on you

sassyrel

Reaction score
what about a rolling torque wrench?????

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Ok FINE! A rolling torque wrench too! LOL

I got to do a rearend in my truck sometime REAL soon, so if anyone is interested on the how to, I will take lots of pics and show what you need to check and what the proper gear pattern looks like.

Ned

Reaction score
I have 4.10 in it now, I picked up a rear end with 3.55 in it. Iam thinking ill put it in and try it. If i dont put it in four wheel drive, i shouldnt have any problems. Id like to drive it with the 3.55's and check it out. If i dont like it, i thought i could pull everything out of the old one and put it in the new one. but if its to risky ill pay someone to do it. Ive been looking for a dana 60 for the front but not finding one local and there pricey. This wasnt something i really wanted to do right now. I may just pay to change to front gear.

Ned

Reaction score
Anybody have a 3.55 ring and pinion for the stock front suspension they want to sell? Also i put on some bilstien shocks all around and noticed the front leaf springs are about an inch from the bump stops, this obviously cant be right. Beside putting in new ones what options are there? I was think about putting in a leveling kit for now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron