Rear tank pick-up line.

DontKnowJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran out of fuel on rear tank. Switched to front and fired back up. Only took 11 gallons to refill rear and it holds 18. Can I put an extension on the pick-up line without dropping the tank? And exactly where is it?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
you can fix the fuel pickup without dropping the tank but you will be pulling the bed or cutting a access hole.:eek:

you can squeeze the fuel sending unit out the front tank without dropping it to repair it but not the rear. once you get the sender out just extend the metal line with some fuel hose with a clamp on it. you will also want to notch it so it does not suck down against the bottom of the tank.

its a common problem for the "shower head" fuel pickup to break down and come apart leaving you with about half tank capacity.

DontKnowJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any idea how many inches back, from front of tank? Got a steel plate back there for hitch. Could take it off and cut hole, it may cover it, if I knew where to cut.

3/4 Ton-O-Fun

90F250 na7.3IDI 4x4
Reaction score
Take a look at the replacement tanks or go to a wrecking yard.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=113

You can see where the lines go from under the truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

2nd edit- Oh, and if you are thinking about "Just jacking up the bed," check out the bed mounting holes on that pic. Getting those carriage bolts off can be a battle.

Last edited:

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally...I, would go for the access panel ;Really
You can get a section of bed-floor from mail order, zip screw it down with caulk etc, rattle-can paint it and go on with life. ;Sweet

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
The 'showerhead' in your rear tank has failed. It looks like this:

Once the tank is off or the bed off, it's an easy modification. Stick a 5" piece of fuel line on the metal tube, cut some small pieces out of it shaped like mini teeth to keep it from suctioning to the bottom: \_/\_/\_/\_/

Put it in the tank, the line will squish up onto the tube. Make a mark. Do it a couple times and see if it consistently goes to the same mark. You can feel with your hand that it's still touching. Then tighten the two clamps down, done.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
This is super common. It was an issue in both of the tanks on my 94 F350.

Ensure you get all the plastic pieces out of the tanks...it may come back to haunt you and cause mysterious issues down the road. Trust me...

Thad

DontKnowJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. That is my intention, going through the bed. I already have a starter hole there with the gooseneck ball. Gonna put a naked online filter on the end, plug the other side.
Still need a 3.55 rear end.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont put a filter on the pickup tube unless it just a screen, it will plug and cause all kinds of grief.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a lot of people a favor...take pics along your repair process and post them. There are quite a few people that suffer from the dreaded 'shower head falling off problem' :rolleyes:

DontKnowJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't take more pics but it was getting around 102 in the shade, soaking wet, diesel fuel from one end to the other.
Gooseneck plate was covering my access to the tank, move it first. I was working solo so one of the requirements is a good strong magnet for your box end wrench. It will hold your wrench in place under the truck while you're removing bolts up top. This one is a rare earth magnet, neodymium, spelling may be wrong but they are extremely strong. Will pinch the fire out of your fingers. Doing a little measuring and calculating from under the truck told me where I should drill a couple holes, then put the jigsaw to work, cut three sides and folded it back. If you've never been in this tank, as I hadn't, spray the knock-off ring with PB blaster and let it soak. I broke the first tooth off trying to get it to move, then sprayed and waited awhile. I got lucky, the second tooth I tried worked. From this angle you can only get to two, so be careful.
This was all that was left of my showerhead. All that i could reach anyway.
My pick-up line has a 90 bend close to the end, so my hose only needed to be about three inches long, notches in the end, no filter.
BTW, what is this wire plugged into the top of my rearend?