Rear Hub Removal - 1 ton, full float axle question

davlun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Getting ready to attempt an axle seal for the first time and had a few questions after research online:
1) After removing the bolts at the end of the axle, it says to remove the hub, will i need a puller always, or just sometimes
2) when replacing the axle seal, is it readily apparent where the seal is supposed to line up, or is there a measurement
3) when reinstalling the bolts at the end of the axle, it says to use a water sealer, i assume to keep water from getting in. great idea, but what product is that?

Thanks,

David

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You need a hub nut socket.
Shouldn't need a puller.
If you got the better seal, you will just drive it into the hub opening, and apply black rtv to the hub surface. Only for the two piece seal though.
Use black rtv on the axle shaft seal.
Can dab some thread sealer on the bolts.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

davlun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Will pick up some of the thread sealer and the black rtv. Spending time on youtube, found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eucSInVHZ-w

I realize it is a bit newer truck, but sterling axle, and it looks pretty much the same visually as my truck with the exception of the emergency brake.

I dont have to deal with the rust, but is it pretty much the same as mine?

David

Last edited:

TDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its easy to do but you need the right size hub nut socket, my 1985 is a 2 9/16ths

davlun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I am working my way through this.

I figured out the nut issue finally, everyone was trying to sell me the one for the dana rear end, not the sterling. Part was hard to find, ended up costing me close to $50.

I just finished getting the bearing cups out of the hub, looks like one of the individual bearings wheels (? called that) cracked and then that piece of metal spun around in there and started chewing up the race.

Getting ready to get the new ones pounded in. Read that you can put the hub in the sun and the race in the freezer and they will often drop right in. Do I need a bit of oil on the outside on the race before inserting?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gavinc

Members online