Rear end rebuild on IDI

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
Here are a couple pics of my third member overhaul and ring and pinion swap.
The smaller ring and pinion are my 5.57 gears and the gears to the left are the incorrect 4.56 gears the parts place sent me for a small class 8 truck.
The third members are for G175T 2 speed axles. You can see where the 2spd planetary set rides inside the ring gear.
I wish I had taken more pictures.

Attachments

• 10-24-09 142.JPG
    10-24-09 142.JPG
    591.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 10-24-09 139.JPG
    10-24-09 139.JPG
    588.6 KB · Views: 11

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for you. I want to swap to 3.55s in my truck. I have a set of rings for the front end that I'll be getting for a really good price (free plus shipping). Other than a pinion gear and ring for the rear, what other parts will I need to have in order to do the swap? I'll probably end up paying someone to do it because I don't have the tools, room, or experience, and since this is my daily driver it has to work. I'm just wanting to know all my costs up front.

Thanks,
Mark

sassyrel

Reaction score
if your not going to be needing the 4x4 part right away--do the front axle first. you can put it in 4x4--even on dirt it may be ******* u-joints---then do the back when your mech has time--

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timing is not a huge deal. I'm not planning on doing it until next spring or fall, and then I'll probably just have it all done at once. Just trying to make sure I know what all I'm going to need so that I can budget accordingly.

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
Question for you. I want to swap to 3.55s in my truck. I have a set of rings for the front end that I'll be getting for a really good price (free plus shipping). Other than a pinion gear and ring for the rear, what other parts will I need to have in order to do the swap? I'll probably end up paying someone to do it because I don't have the tools, room, or experience, and since this is my daily driver it has to work. I'm just wanting to know all my costs up front.

Thanks,
Mark

I dont know exactly what tools you will need for your project.
A good starting point would be calipers (for checking shims), inch pound torqure wrench (for checking pinion bearing pre-load), most non third member models require a case spreader, 1/2" impact is nice for taking things apart, torque wrench probably 1/2", and some gear marking compound (I used spray paint;p). Thats all I am thinking at the moment. I am no diff guy by any means.

You can get a set up kit from where you buy your gears.
http://www.ringpinion.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle