Rear end clank!!!

86ford69jw

redneck
Reaction score
So I have been having a clank and clunk and pop coming from the rear area. Pulled into the shop and had the boss check it out. Then he says holy ***** you gotta see this!!! So I checked it out.

The axle is twisting and making a good bit of noise. Sometimes in rev sometimes in drive. I'm not sure where to start. Maybe u bolts? And bearing in the rear diff?

97 F250 HD auto 4x4
3.55s turning 16.6!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The springs set on a spring perch which is welded to the axle, the spring pack is held in alignment with a bolt, that bolt head goes in a hole in the perch for location, if the U-bolts that hold everything together are broke, it's possible that the bolt head is scheared when the axle twisted.

86ford69jw

redneck
Reaction score
I'm gunna order some new u bolts and go from there. See what all is wrong this weekend prolly. Just gotta get a few extra hrs of time. Lol

97 F250 HD auto 4x4
3.55s turning 16.6!

86ford69jw

redneck
Reaction score
Shop told me TC is going out. Didn't shift hard or clunk at the shop. Of course!!!

97 F250 HD auto 4x4
3.55s turning 16.6!

RenoF250

Reaction score
Yeah, you better make sure the perches are okay when you change the u-bolts. I would also look at the rear u-joint. It may have taken a beating if the axle rotated much. It was probably the source of the noise.