Rear disc brake conversion?

Feed Bunk

Cow hand
Reaction score
Im really wanting to put disc brakes on the back of my truck. I found a couple of companies that make kits. I was looking at the blackbird kit, but thought Id ask before I bought it. I didnt want to spend a bunch of money on a junk kit or anything. Hopefully with this out of the way I can start on the important stuff, like a modded turbo:D.

Thanks

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
I found a page that had pics and showed how to DIY them but the link is on my lap top and the charger died and the battery is dead. So I can find it in a week when my other charger comes if it hasnt been solved. Try searching on here I think thats where I found it.

zpd307

Reaction score
its too bad no one has made brackets to accept anything else other than those old rare caddy calipers.......

Feed Bunk

Cow hand
Reaction score
So the bolt on kits use caddy calipers? I guess as long as I can get parts it would be allright. Our 94 f450 has discs on the back but scince its a d80 and ten lug hubs I figured a ford conversion would be out.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You can get the entire rear from another truck, I hear some get rear dif from econoline vans at JYards.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are going to swap the whole axle, what about one from a SuperDuty or Excursion. My Ex has rear disks from the factory. I know the wheel bolt pattern is different, but would the front hubs swap over? I know that 4 wheel disk + hydroboost really rock. I can stop like you wouldn't believe, and it will stop the camper very well, with the trailer brakes turned way down...... oops....

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
which year model caddy calipers are supposed to work with the parking brake?

Feed Bunk

Cow hand
Reaction score
I like it that the ruffstuff kit uses 3/4 ton calipers, but I need some sort of park brake. Im not going to shut my engine off every time I get out to open a gate. Im kinda on the fence with what to get. I remember we used to have a grain truck with a micro lock. You pushed a switch and it set your brakes somehow. Ill do some lookin on it.

tractorman86

Reaction score
yea it is just a constant duty line lock, you had to hold the brakes then hit the button and it was set and you could take your foot off the pedal, right?

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had that brake lock setup on all the old fire engines where I used to live, but I think the last time I went back home, all the engines have air brakes now, it's a pretty small town and for them air brakes was a leap into the 21 century.