Rear Diff Fluid

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I would like to change the gear oil in my diff sometime soon.

i did a search on here and came up with amsoil, royal purple, & mobile 1.

i will be using synthetic. does the synth come with the friction modifier already in it?

any other opinions on brands of fluid?

What weight lube do i use?

thanks

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Most of the time you shouldn't need a friction modifier with a true synthetic.

I would recommend Amsoil. Royal purple is good to but its about twice the price.

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive always used 80/90 weight.

And if you know you have a limited slip I would use something like this as well along with the diff oil.

You must be registered for see images attach

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya want to use 80/140 synthetic. All 4:10 are limited slip, unless changed to a locker. Use the additive also.

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run Lucas in mine, 80/90. Put it in about a year ago and checked it a few weeks ago, seems to be holding up well.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a few exceptions, syn is 75W and dino is 80 or 85W... because the syn has better cold flow. If you don't have a LSD, best not to buy an oil with the LSD friction modifier (FM) in it. Many of them are organic in nature and don't stand up to heat well. High heat causes them to oxidize and it brings the oil down with it. Some syno oils have good enough friction characteristics that they don't need any FM.

Best to base oil viscosity choices on how you use the truck. If you tow hard and alot, your diff oil will get very hot and you should use a 75W140 syn or an 85W140 dino. If you don't tow often, that 140 grade oil can cut into fuel economy (because the oil never gets hot and it stays thick and causes drag). I have a diff oil temp gauge on my truck now, as well as a Mag-Hytec cover, which helps it run cool. I on run a 90 grade oil (LE-607 from Lubrication engineers... no longer made but I have a large supply).

Because you live in Michigan, and it gets cold there I would point you to a 75W90 syn or a 75W140 if you tow alot. I'm not a big syn oil guy when it comes to engines but with gear oil, it makes a difference. Brand... not so important (to me... I'm not a one brand guy).

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont forget to use coupon code: VISA
during checkout.:)
( keep code: P20 handy when buying more/higher priced stuff.)