Rear Diff Fluid

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a little misleading. Drain interval for our trucks is between 50-100k ( 50k for severe service which would include those of us who do heavy towing or spend a lot of time on dirt roads ) Big truck axles are built with a bit more overkill and have a higher drain interval on dino oil to begin with

Well OK
Misleading? well who owns a vehicle longer than ten years? especially a 20+ year old vehicle?
Ok I do, but most people never service the transmission or rear diff until FAILURE.
So my thinking is those people that actually decide to change fluids in a diff or a slushbox, AMSOIL is a lifetime fill for them.
And to add, AMSOIL did, or still may have a lifetime fill interval on pass car diffs and light trucks.
I have serviced hundreds of rear axles, I can safely say that AMSOIL is a lifetime lubricant compared to anything NAPA carries.

Attachments

• Picture-563-1024x768.jpg
    Picture-563-1024x768.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 14

gatorman21218

Reaction score
My theory in something without an oil filter, Id rather use a conventional oil or midgrade oil and change it more often than using a high grade oil and never changing the fluid.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My theory in something without an oil filter, Id rather use a conventional oil or midgrade oil and change it more often than using a high grade oil and never changing the fluid.

hopefully your opinion on that changes one day.
the benefits of synthetics is just far too great to be missing the boat on.;Sweet

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If the lubricant used allows for metal to metal contact then yea, gotta drain out the metal and pour in some fresh lube.
AMSOIL gear oil, eliminates wear, so like I said lifetime fill.
I will also add that AMSOIL gear oil will deliver more miles to a tank of fuel from less friction than the toothpaste conventional gear lube...

Javier

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
If the lubricant used allows for metal to metal contact then yea, gotta drain out the metal and pour in some fresh lube.
AMSOIL gear oil, eliminates wear, so like I said lifetime fill.
I will also add that AMSOIL gear oil will deliver more miles to a tank of fuel from less friction than the toothpaste conventional gear lube...

Javier

I call BS... It may severely reduce it, but you cannot completely eliminate wear in a gear train.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
You will reduce wear with synthetic but not completely eliminate it. Even with the clutch packs.

Biggest benefit with synthetic will be increased fuel economy. It will also do better in extreme temperature situations, cold and hot.

Most vehicles end up in the junk yard before the rear end wears out and most of them are probably still filled with the factory fill. Wear is not something I worry about in a diff.

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can i use a regular 80w 90 gear lube? thats what my parts guy told me it calls for. same for the front diff. i do not have ls

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have shimmed up many a FORD 9inch clutch pak on my own vehicles only because I dont mind the banging and noise that comes along with it.

In the past using mud for gear oil I would of burnt up the clutches and had to replace, wich I have done along with wear on the ring and pinion.

Since the upgrade to a real lubricant I was suprised to find out the clutch units I shimmed up that were very notchy and noisy but held both wheels when I needed it, I found that all the noise and clunking when turning was completely eliminated, when at road speed.
During slow speed you could feel the resistance from the clutches but the noise was gone.
Recently I pulled a unit apart to put into another car and the clutches had absolutely no wear so I put it all back together.
This 9inch rear with tires mounted on the axles and the car in the air, I can turn the yoke with my pinky finger and the whole diff spins effortlessly.
So to say the rear diff is no big deal in the lube department I call BS :yell:

Gear oil is very important, cause not even once do I want to open a diff and spend money repairing something, not even once!

Javier

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online