Rear brake shoe size

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
So I decided to follow the general knowledge base on rear brake shoe size when I was getting the parts (91 SRW F250) so got the 2.5" wide shoes vs the 3", just went to slap the new ones on (after having the parts for 2 months...) and found that I have 3" wide shoes vs the 2.5" so apparently not all SRW trucks have the 2.5" shoe but instead have the 3" :mad:

Lesson learned double check supposed size of parts before buying which I should've known to do in first place. (especially if you got info from here)

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, the diesels are considered "heavy duty" and should usually have the larger brakes, etc as they are for pulling more weight. That is at least what I have found when purchasing parts. That said, next time that will be an incorrect assumption. (We all know what happens when we assume :D)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
(Especially if you got information from here)....:eek::dunnocookoo:backoff:confused: I'm going to ask for more of a deffination about that statement. Did just one person tell you what to buy or did you get information from everyone and then decide what to buy. 3 inch has always been the size of the rear shoes from what I know and have seen. I'm really hopeing your not dissing this forum. That might invite a kind of help you may get in future requests for help. So please help us to understand what this means. I'm sure I'm not the only member feeling something.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Everytime Ive seen it discussed its been 2.5" = SRW 3" = DRW and that was from just about everyone (was also used as a way to tell dually vs srw with adapters) and Ill be honest and admit that little bit was more because its not the first time the majority of the group here has agreed on an answer and its turned out wrong. Don't get me wrong you can/do get some very helpful and accurate answers it just goes to show that it never hurts to double check (especially when theres no telling what all a PO did to the truck).

Oh and Ill also be the first to admit this whole thread was mainly just to vent after tearing the truck apart just to put it back together and go trade parts (ended up saving me $$ though). Although along those lines those that are having issues with the self adjusters might want to check if there hooked up correctly, found both of mine disconnected (first time Ive taken drums off in the 1.5 years Ive had this truck)

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sterling semi float f250 SRW (not found in diesel trucks -with exception of a few guys claiming to have found them under their early '83/84's it's rare!) = 2.5" wide brake shoes.

sterling 10.25 full floating f250/f350 SRW (found in all diesel trucks for the most part 99.99% ods probably lol.) = 3" brake shoe.

sterling 10.25 full floating f350 DRW (the true dually axle.not a srw with adapters of course.also the f350 cab n chassis i believe also.) = 3.5" brake shoe.

Lesson learned double check supposed size of parts before buying which I should've known to do in first place. (especially if you got info from here)

verifying you had the most common srw full floating axle with a 3" brake shoe would have been the wisest course of action for sure.insulting a forum with helpful folks sharing info free of charge wouldn't be.