Rear Brake problems

Bubba_891

Reaction score
Ok so I picked up an 88 F Super Duty aka 450. The rear parking brake is stuck but there’s no cable and the light is on. Plus I have zero brakes and fluid in the master. There’s a piece on the rear that has arms attached to it and brake line runs into a block on it and then to the rear center block. 1. What is the name of that piece or contraption? 2. How do I free up the parking brake and get pressure back?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what Ford called it, but that is a load compensation gizmo for the rear brakes. The less the truck is loaded in the rear, the less rear braking action you get. More load, more braking action. If you can't find a replacement I would take it out myself.

I have never worked on a f450, your parking brake is on back of the transmission correct?

And if you have no fluid in the master cylinder, then you have a leak somewhere. I would fill the master with fluid, and then get someone to pump the brakes while you look underneath for the leak.

Bubba_891

Reaction score
Awesome thanks y’all and yeah gonna find a way to delete that gizmo and I found my leaks.. just got to get the parking brake to release.. might have to put in a one piece driveshaft..

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a hose from older truck to bypass. Fit right in. Years ago. Centric 15065325 at rockauto.com I think it was.

If you have to lock up the brakes, the rear will try to pass you on the side.

Last edited:

Bubba_891

Reaction score
I used a hose from older truck to bypass. Fit right in. Years ago. Centric 15065325 at rockauto.com I think it was.

If you have to lock up the brakes, the rear will try to pass you on the side.

Thanks for that part number.. yeah I’d hate to have to hit them hard and it pass me

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that part number.. yeah I’d hate to have to hit them hard and it pass me

It's called learning how to drive. If the rearend comes around on you, let up a little bit. If you are getting ready to hit something or someone, the rearend coming around is not going to matter too much.

Bubba_891

Reaction score
So update on this. It was the whole brake system had to replace all calipers and pads rotors were great shape.. literally had to beat the calipers off they were stuck that bad. But made new lines for rear, bleed everything and it works flawlessly.