Rear brake problem - brand new...

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, my '90 sig truck just had a complete new rear brake job. New drums, shoes, cylinders, wheel seals and E brake cables. When I brought the truck to the shop the rear brakes wernt working period. Now what it does is as soon as I get a little bit of pressure on the front end, the rear end starts chattering badly. Almost like a really rapid ABS application. I have had it back to the shop and they adjusted the brakes to where they should be, but I still have this same problem. I have tried it with the ABS fuse in and out (light off/on so I know it works) and same difference. If I press firmly like a lil more then normal brake application, the rear end will lock up. Any ideas??

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like the shop didn't know what they were doing on the brakes.. you may need to find another shop but tell the original shop this first. They are responsible for good work just as much as bad work... Hold their feet to the fire because this is a safety item. Whos going to be held rsponcible if you hurt or kill someone because of the fauldy brakes...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
oil or some contaminant on the brake shoes....or drums...

JM2CW
My chevy would shake like the tires were gonna fall off while braking with bad shoes.

I would just go in to see for sure what they did replace.

You said the abs light "works." Does that mean it's on?

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like bad or contaninated shoes, by bad i'm talking grade of shoe material. or faulty wheel cylinders. a lot of shops buy remanufactured parts because they charge close to new price so there profit is larger, steering and brakes should only get new parts if your replacing them, cause if you can't stop it or steer it the results are not going to be good.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Shoes on backwards is a possibility too. Just have to take the drums off and have a look. But thats something the shop needs to do.. Not you. Knowing what shoe goes on what side of the backing plate is important too.
The longer shoe belongs on the rear side of the backing plate.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Poor quality brake shoes can cause this too...

Did you get quality name brand parts, or did this shop provide some cheapanese house brand of shoes?

You are the customer get them to straighten this out!

Also how about drums...you say NEW are they NEW castings..... or new to you resurfaced used drums?

Even if new castings if cheapanese they could be either bad castings, or machined out of round...

Lots to investigate....

JM2CW

Al

Last edited: