Rear brake issues

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so i got some work done on the truck today, made a new air intake and replace the front brake pads. But still had a week pedal ie low pedal so obviously i needed to adjust the rear brakes but i cant get the spacer off the dam hub i dont seam to have a socket thin enough is there a special tool? also it seams that the top pin is missing where the brake shoes pivot right above the the wheel cyl on the right wheel im sure this is where myproblem is but cant seam to locate a new one any sugestions:dunno

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so i figured ill just take the whole hub off and just replace all the seal and check all the bearings but go figure need another special hub socket-cuss so i guess tomorrow ill be looking someplace to find one of those anyone know there to find the socket i need for the rear axle hub looks like a 4wd socket but its like a spring loaded lock nut type:dunno any suggestions would be good thanks;Sweet

Popeye2347

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went thru almost the same problem-a leaking rear axle seal. I took the easy way out and just wrote a check. It was easier for me than getting the tools, 2 or 3 trips to town and an education and having the truck out of service for several days.
Good luck....

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i got it figured out the spacer actually slides off well slides off with the help of a BFH i had a brain fart the other day cookoo and just got mad cause everything just wasn't working -cuss so today i got the special hub nut socketremoved the whole hub on the driver side to find this mess

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

The sad part is the last owner just did these brakes before i bought it im guessing he did it himself some people should just not be aloud to touch tools i have no idea how the brakes just didn't go out all together all tghe parts that were new are now junk so i figure just throw money at it in parts till its all better, what else can you do :dunno

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The parts to put everything new on the backing plate is not that much money. Find a spicer trans or driveline shop or a big brake shop to get all the bendix parts for you, way cheaper than the dealer.

I dont know where Willis is but I know there is a good edealer to get parts from in the DFW area.

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the only thing thats missing or broken is the parking brake leaver pin witch i ordered from ford today for 9 dollars everything else i got at autozone ie brake hardware kits and all that just waiting for one more axle seal and the one brake pin so just tomorrow it should be all good to hit the road ;Sweet and ill actually have a working parking brake i think all told for all the parts and the one special socket i have a hair less then 200 in the repairs to fix the rear brake and have new parking brake cables so not too bad

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
So if your just taking the drum off to do the rear brakes, do you need any special tools ? I understand if you were taking the hub apart, you would probably need a special socket to get it apart. I need to do the rear shoes on my F250 and am wondering if there are any special tools needed for the job other then the standard brake tools.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, not on an f250. Just pull the wheel and take the drum off and everythings right there.

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your truck has the same axle set up as mine minus the dual wheels of coarse then no the drums on my truck just slide off the hub once the rust was broken free

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if your just taking the drum off to do the rear brakes, do you need any special tools ? I understand if you were taking the hub apart, you would probably need a special socket to get it apart. I need to do the rear shoes on my F250 and am wondering if there are any special tools needed for the job other then the standard brake tools.

This is true for your 92'. Not necessarily so for those of us with Dana 70's (usually on early 80's trucks).

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Seems like the guy I bought the truck from said it had a Dana 70 but can't remember if he said it was under the front or rear. Guess I need to get under the truck and look at the axle tag and then check the axle codes on line. Would a 92 F250 4X4 with the E4OD possibly have a Dana 70 under it ?? Is there any distinguishing features that make it stand out as a Dana 70 ??

Thanks

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An axle swap is always a possibility with a used truck. The Dana 70 has a big "70" stamped on the pumpkin. That axle does not have removable drums, and so the hubs must be disassembled to work on them. A real PITA. But then they don't have the crush sleeve problem. There is no utopia. LOL

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Thanks Mel.......... Guess I'll crawl under it tonight and take a look to check for sure. May have been my imagination and i just thought he said it had a Dana 70..... :dunno

sassyrel

Reaction score
If your truck has the same axle set up as mine minus the dual wheels of coarse then no the drums on my truck just slide off the hub once the rust was broken free

spence--when you type. put a break in your sentences. otherwise they be hard to read. thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat