Rear axle set up

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leeland gave me that idea over in his thread. Kinda sad about tearing up that set up bearing, but I think an inner race would work better than a piece of pipe

1983 f350 6.9 zf5 2wd srw single cab long bed. Facet duralift, optima red tops, bfg all terrains, 4" exhaust from y pipe back, autometer z series pyro, pump turned up 2 flats

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rent the master ball joint kit they have sleeves tall and fat. When I didn't have a bearing press set up I used that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rent the master ball joint kit they have sleeves tall and fat. When I didn't have a bearing press set up I used that.

Like that idea too. I've really wanted to just buy one from harbor freight when they go on sale for 50-60$. Makes u joints a breeze :)

1983 f350 6.9 zf5 2wd srw single cab long bed. Facet duralift, optima red tops, bfg all terrains, 4" exhaust from y pipe back, autometer z series pyro, pump turned up 2 flats

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images

Here's the carrier bearings and ring gear mounted on the diff. One of the cages got a little ding in it when I was flipping the diff over to press the other bearing on. That thing has to weight 70 pounds. Not happy about it but it's so small I doubt it will cause an issue

Here's the pinion with the set up bearing and my first guess with shims. Went about with about .032. Shim that came off the 3.55 gears was .028 and looked like it has spun a little. Sorry that pic doesn't show how the cage sticks up past the inner race very well. Hopefully this weekend I can pick up the 1/4-3/8 adapter, drive the pinion races in and finally see a pattern :)

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a lot of rotating weight flying around. But I like car **** like that right now I'm going a regarding job on a 7.5 ford. If you want me I'll post gear patterns for the job when I get there

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a lot of rotating weight flying around. But I like car **** like that right now I'm going a regarding job on a 7.5 ford. If you want me I'll post gear patterns for the job when I get there

Yeah, I'd love to have some more pictures and other people's projects on this thread :). But like you said, that's a lot of weight, makes me regret not ordering some bearing cap studs

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just realized the splines on my new pinion are about a 1/4" longer than the ones that came out of the '94 axle and it was built in late '94 so it should've had the long spline from the factory, right? Am I gonna need a new yoke? :/

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First attempt need to shim more.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That pattern showing the pinion is too deep?

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could shim between yoke amd bearing

So I "should" get a new yoke but with the solid spacer I can get away with the existing yoke?

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Inner pinion race. My largest race driver fell through the race so I had to use a punch. My punch chipped when this happened. Ugh....

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Finally got a pattern! :) I've got about 11-13 thou backlash. What do you guys think?

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll get the spec on that backlash tomorrow for you. Pattern is perfect.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll get the spec on that backlash tomorrow for you. Pattern is perfect.

I found 8-12 being the standard but I saw where ford specifically states 12-15. Little nervous on the pinion preload because it "could" have read 18-19 but it was staying on 20in lbs most of the way around. Still need the little sleeve that slides over the yoke to fix the grove that the pinion seal wore in it. It's sitting there with no pinion seal and the old nut but other than that it feels good finally getting it all done. Now it needs brakes and wheel bearings

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online