Rear Axle replacing time!

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
Well the 1989 gets a new rear axle now...

I originally thought about converting to a 01 super-duty Dana 80 but it was gonna be too expensive. I found a nice Sterling 10.25 with 4.10 gear ratio, dunno if it has LSD or not, I'll find out when I get it. At this point it really doesn't matter to me cuz I just need the big rig again. The axle I'm getting has 160K on it and comes out of a 1990 F350 with the 7.3IDI, so I'm guessing it hasn't been overworked at all. I'm getting it for $500.

I'm hoping to simply unbolt the brakes as a unit off of my old axle without having to disconnect any brake lines. I think the brake assy. is held on by 4 bolts. Then I'm gonna run AMSOIL synthetic GL5 in it.

Weather permitting, I'm gonna get the new axle tomorrow. I'm trying to find a second floor jack so I can just use two floor jacks (one under each side) to roll the axles around. That would save having to put the rims on it to move it around.

Can't wait to get it in there! I'll be painting it this week, then hopefully I can swap it over the weekend. Time to wash the undercarriage and start applying PB Blaster!

4.10 gear ratio should be a welcome change from 4.56 gears :D

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whoa. I way under price rear ends.

Anyway, personally I'd aim for a 93+ 10.25 from a 250 or 350 that has a small block in it.

Grant it some small block trucks get worked, but not like big blocks and IDIs.

93 up has the long pinion don't know if it helps a whole whole lot but are "suppose" to be better.

5 is steep in my book but as long as your happy with it.

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
I got the axle a day after I planned to, so I have been working on getting it rebuilt now. Gosh it's expensive. I'll post up the total when I'm done but it ain't cheap!

I have the axle entirely apart right now, had the carrier hot tanked to clean it, gonna put all new bearings and races in it, all new seals, new brake lines, etc. Right now I am making the housing look pretty. Got the primer on this morning, now I'm waiting for the spray-on bedliner to cure. I put that on because it resists rocks and chipping very well and it's tough so it should last a good long time. Then I'll paint over that.

I've got tons of pics but not enough time to post them up yet so this'll have to do for now :D

The issue with needing the longer pinion or whatever is most apparent on 4.56 ratio's and up, or large tires. The numerically higher gear ratios tend to cause it to wobble, which can distort the crush sleeve or wear the pinion out.

As far as 5 being steep, haha yep it's fine in my book. Around here that's cheap.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
Not cheap in this part of Iowa ;Really
If you have torn it down that far, just get the newer style R&P and swap it in.

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
Well an update here:

Axle is under the truck, tires on and everything hooked up except for the rear brake line. Then I need to bleed brakes, and put oil in, and test drive it.

I used the old style R&P but I'm sure I will get many miles out of it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online