Rear abs/e-brake light

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey

Just today my rear abs and e-brake light came on randomly and at the same time during several trips, but not on every one. Brakes seem to work fine, e-brake is not sticking, fluid is full, rear shoes are fairly new. What should I check or start with?? Any ideas??

Thanks

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the wheels. Pull the drums and check for a leaky wheel cylinder. To check the wheel cylinders pull back the rubber boot a bit on each side of the wheel cylinder and if it's wet under the boot their leaking. It could be just a small leak that is not affecting the level of fluid. It could also be air in the system.

If it was just the red light I would say to check the vacum pump. You might want to check that anyway.

If the pedal is slowly sinking to the floor when your foot is on the brake it could be the RABS valve or the master cylinder. Both would give those indications but with only one or both being bad. The thing to do is isolate which one and the link will tell you how to do just that.

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/dec99/techtips.htm

Although the above deals with a Bronco the same applies to Ford trucks that have rear anti-lock brakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat