really stupid mistake... :(

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little blowby at idle is fine and considered normal.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you just trickle it in? If so you should be fine.

Great beginner info Popeye.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
the only thing i noticed is at an idle there seems to be a hair more blowby, but still next to none, im wondering if it was just cause its a little chilly today, but when i rev the engine via fuel pump it goes away instantly like it always did, and i looked under the truck and i cant tell if theres a small knock or if its just the rattling from the injectors, i have my exhaust hacked off at the back of the cab so its a little hard to hear over :p but other than that its still chuggin just like it did when i got it, im really thankful nothing bad happened....

Or it could be that you are just that your mind is telling you that you are hearing and seeing things because of what you have been through. Sounds to me like you dodged a bullet and you are good to go ;Sweet

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i didnt put much in at all, like maybe 1/5 of a can, and i slowly trickled it in. trucks still chuggin along, my shop teacher told me it should be fine, as long as it didnt hydro lock. he said they made these motors pretty damn bulletproof, and i would have to agree. :D

bockhold

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
for my 97 psd, i hydrolock my #7 cyl and it split the whole way down the sleeve. a resleeve fixed it. but i didnt see any performance issues or noises. and didnt know it was cracked till it was torn apart for a different issue.

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for my 97 psd, i hydrolock my #7 cyl and it split the whole way down the sleeve. a resleeve fixed it. but i didnt see any performance issues or noises. and didnt know it was cracked till it was torn apart for a different issue.

would i have been able to tell if i hydrolocked the motor? i went out yesterday, and it was a bit of a pain to get it started, then again my starters goin out, but the motor was just turning over a bunch but not firing, actually had to give it two 5 second glows from the plugs instead of one before it finally roared to life :dunno

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
if the starter is weak, it may be hard to start. IDI's need to spin fast to fire.

bockhold

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
would i have been able to tell if i hydrolocked the motor? i went out yesterday, and it was a bit of a pain to get it started, then again my starters goin out, but the motor was just turning over a bunch but not firing, actually had to give it two 5 second glows from the plugs instead of one before it finally roared to life :dunno

i couldnt tell any difference. but then it was undergoing some issues as well so it wasnt noticeable. coolant was the one that hydrolocked the cyl. i did a bad headgasket job which i think caused it to happen

if the starter is weak, it may be hard to start. IDI's need to spin fast to fire.

yes and psd engines as well

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
wipe the sweat off of your brow, you should be alright, skated across thin ice that did not crack on that one. My advice: start off by reading the FAQ and tech forums. There is a ton of good info there, you will find yourself re-reading it just to stay on top of things. Many good metal fabricators, mechanics and such throw their ideas onto these pages for review, not to get their stones busted,(yeah, that may happen, though) but you can always miss something that another person will see and bring to light. Welcome to the site, I find the info here to be priceless, learning all the time. Did you know what a brownie is? A thread here will tell ya. Good stuff, Good luck with your idi.

condor74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be ok. You would have known if you hyrdro locked it...aka either the motor wouldnt turn over at all and or internal stuff bends and breaks. If it is running the way it was before you are ok. It could have also ran away from you using the chemical as a fuel.. that would have also been obvious as the motor would have accelerated up uncontrolably and also breaking internal stuff because of excessive RPM. Yours did niether. Just dont do it again and you should be ok.

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be ok. You would have known if you hyrdro locked it...aka either the motor wouldnt turn over at all and or internal stuff bends and breaks. If it is running the way it was before you are ok. It could have also ran away from you using the chemical as a fuel.. that would have also been obvious as the motor would have accelerated up uncontrolably and also breaking internal stuff because of excessive RPM. Yours did niether. Just dont do it again and you should be ok.

a couple of times when i tried to start it yesterday i could hear the starter engage but the motor wouldnt turn over. cranked it over again same thing. then itd start to turn over but not fire, then tried again and it roared to life.

ideas?

condor74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was that with the chemical in the engine on the first start up? or was that after you have had it running? If it was after then it may be something else. If it was with the chemical in the engine then that was the start of hydro locking the engine. liquid does not compress. That is why it is dangerous to put any liquid down your intake. Especially on a Diesel because they run a much higher compression ratio...A performance gas engine is usually in the 10 to 1 range. Your naturally aspirated diesel is probably closer to 24 to 1. You can see where trying to compress a liquid is magnified in a diesel. I would run it for now and keep an eye on it. I have hydro locked a gas engine once and once I drained the fluid from the cylinders, (in this case it was fuel), I was able to start it. Unfortunately even though it ran ok I found a bent connecting rod...so just keep an eye on it and hope it is ok.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
NEVER use ether to start a IDI!!! The precup and glow plug location will work together and tend to blow-up/explode/do expensive damage to your engine!! With this said, I know some people do this, usually in a survival mode, but do you really need or want to take that chance? Fix the glowplug /block heater system instead.

A tiny amount with the Gp's DISABLED will get'r going, just don't dump a can into the intake, and climb in the truck and start cycling the glow plugs....it will be an expensive fireworks show!

Don't freak out if you pump gasoline into the diesel tank. Most of us have done it at one time or another. Just so it is not a lot, just dilute it with diesel and keep on going. Should it be a lot, the engine will be low on power and, as I understand it, hard to start. Then it is up to you to drain it and either use it elsewhere, or return it back in the tank a little at a time. Not good on the lubrication of the injection pump, but in moderation I doubt the lifespan [or mean time between failure] can be measured outside of a lab situation. But as the owner, it is your call.

I ALMOST did this Saturday morning. I spent the WHOLE week working, got 18 hours of sleep from Tuesday at 5 am until Saturday night. A gallon or two of 10W 30 in the tank will help soften the gasoline's effect on the motor.

If you want to help out the engine and fuel system, dump a quart of ATF (new or extremely well filtered) into the tank with every couple of fill ups. The high detergent content in the ATF will clean out the pump, injectors and other fuel system parts as well as lube them up.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Errrrrrrrrrrrr....I agree with all of that except for the gasoline part. Other problems can be caused by running gasoline since it does not have the lubrication qualities of diesel. Also, I believe it will start faster than diese (don't know for a fact) but sparks (or glowing plug) to a more refined fuel, could cause a ton of preignition and start to chew away at your internals. I could go on about what happens when you lean out a gas fire, but I think you get the picture.

SWS

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
easy way to clean a diesel is to put 1 qt of transmission fluid in with your next fill up and run it