rdgreene

rdgreene

Reaction score
Good evening all, didnt check the hpop oil level, not sure where to find the resevoir. brought home a gensis scan tool, hooked up and checked current codes.....p1280 icp circ out of range...p0113 iat high,,,, caused that one by removing the air box...p0344 cam pos sens circ int...p0340 cam pos circ malf.......went through all the koeo and koer tests and came up with enough codes to drive a sane person crazy,,not to far from there myself. any way the next bunch were p0196 eng oil temp sens circ...p0475 exh press ctl valve...p1294 high side open bank 2
...p1298 idm failure... koer..p0476 exh press ctrl valve perf.... now the question is at which end of this animal do you start... i am thinking the cam sensor may be the root of most of these problems some of the faults could have been caused by my own errors in disconecting sensors and injector harnesses with the engine running... any thoughts. R Greene​

rdgreene

Reaction score
This was suposed to be on here last night, hit the wrong key and sent the post away to..... who knows. good evening all, didnt check the hpop oil level, not sure where to find the resevoir. brought home a gensis scan tool, hooked up and checked current codes.....p1280 icp circ out of range...p0113 iat high,,,, caused that one by removing the air box...p0344 cam pos sens circ int...p0340 cam pos circ malf.......went through all the koeo and koer tests and came up with enough codes to drive a sane person crazy,,not to far from there myself. any way the next bunch were p0196 eng oil temp sens circ...p0475 exh press ctl valve...p1294 high side open bank 2
...p1298 idm failure... koer..p0476 exh press ctrl valve perf.... now the question is at which end of this animal do you start... i am thinking the cam sensor may be the root of most of these problems some of the faults could have been caused by my own errors in disconecting sensors and injector harnesses with the engine running... any thoughts. R Greene​

rdgreene

Reaction score
Ok now i have the scan tool working in my favor, here are the fault codes in proper order....
KOEO
P1294 high side open bank 2 {left}
P1298 idm failure
P0475 exhaust press ctrl valve malfunction
INJ BUZZ SELF TEST
P1294
P1298
KOER
P0476 exhaust press ctrl valve perf
KOER CYL CONTRIBUTE SELF TEST
P0284 non conttributing cyl 8
P0278 " "" "" cyl 6
P0272 " "" "" cyl 4
P0266 cyl 2 contribution or balance fault
Now if any body can help me to make some sense of this, i thank you.
R ichard Greene

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to clear the codes and see which ones come back, as you said you may have caused some of those codes in your original diagnostic check of unhooking different wires/sensors.

Though the P1294 and P1298 bother me.

rdgreene

Reaction score
If you go to post #18 those are the codes that came back. the only one that was in current codes was something like po111 passed. now how are all the other codes deleted. because it's been too many years since i have worked on a ford. thank you

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Unhook the batteries for about 10 minutes, it will erase them. At least it worked for my dads 95 when the tranny was starting to crap out (turned out to be the torque converter).

rdgreene

Reaction score
well i think i have the problem, found. just for the hell of it i took the idm off the left inner fender, and it sounds like its full of water. removed the sealed back and found a lot of water inside, looks like it may have corroded a few parts of the circuit board. dont know yet how much a new or used one is yet.anyway more updates later. time for a drink of something dark .

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, the IDM doesnt like water one little bit.

rdgreene

Reaction score
Good evening all
I would like to thank every one for all the info for my old 7.3.
The problem was water in the IDM, and is it ever hard to find good used parts around here for this model truck. or i may not be looking in the right places. Got ahold of a used IDM to try, ant the old girl runs like new,or as close as she can for her age. Now where is a good location for parts here in nova scotia? If anyone can help out with info thanks R Greene

rdgreene

Reaction score
around here that is old, most have rusted away by now, salt roads in the winter etc

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Mr. Green you'll have to excuse Mr. Agne. He's been around ford diesels before anyone ever heard of a IDM.:smash: Glad you got it running:thumbsup:

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
hmm it would take all of the miles on all of Mel's trucks to add up to 390K. congrats on your rackety old '97.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online