Ran hot one time

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also recommend going with the champion radiator vs cleaning the factory radiator. My experience has been it costs 150 bucks to clean a crusty old ass radiator and you can always find a new radiator for under $200.

My 93 always ran warm. Then the radiator sprung a leak and I replaced it with a champion unit. Now it always runs nice and cool. I'm completely happy with my champion radiators.

crewd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An update, I swapped the radiator for a used Spectra CU-1165 aluminum radiator that I found at a pick-a-part and had earmarked for another truck. When I drained the coolant out of the original radiator, I saw a LOT of buildup on the internal rows. Swapped the radiator, and refilled with distilled water and ran prestone radiator flush. Then drained and filled again with distilled water. Drained and filled with Peak pre-charged SCA coolant. Each time draining with the block drains as well.

I made the same trip again through Cresson towing a little more this time, a ford ranger on a tow dolly. It was uneventful, the truck ran great and stayed cool the entire trip. I was not able to get my autometer gauges installed before the trip so no numbers, but using the factory gauge, it stayed at the n-o and never went above.

I do have to change the heater core, as it weeps occasionally on the passenger floor. And it just started on the morning of the trip, go figure.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well glad you found and fixed the problem. Sadly these cooling systems will build up plenty of mineral dropout like you found. they only do this when running well or tap water. Distilled water has none of these minerals in it so there is no dropout.

crewd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I was surprised. Thanks to everyone for your help. This is really a great board. The more I drive it the more I like this truck. I'm getting 17-19 mpg empty. I've towed three cars already.