rally dyno question concerning a cummins

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
ok heres my situation. i just started a new job and fortunately they are letting me keep my vacation plans for the rally. however now im not getting paid vacation time, so its costing me alot more. i am planning on bringing my dually with the cummins swap. i had wanted to run it on the dyno but $80 now means alot more to me since im losing a weeks pay. but... i would still do it IF it were possible to do some p-pump tweaks between runs. so im asking if anyone that knows how to do the p-pump adjustments will be at the rally and how long they take. i have a 96 215 hp pump thats never been molested. im not looking to rip the rollers out of the floor, just want verifiable increases. i only have an upgraded single disc clutch (probably a mistake...) and dont want to get out of the range that it will hold.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I cant help you with the P Pump tweaks, I am actually looking for someone to turn the pump up on Droopy, just a little. But it sounds like it can get a little complicated with the star wheel, smoke screw and Fuel Plate adjustments. I don't think it is something that can be done successfully between pulls. You may have to pull the truck off the rollers, have the pump adjusted, drive the truck and put it back on the rollers again. I would assume that they would then charge you for another hook up. Just not real sure,..

Are you installing a fuel plate, or 3000 rpm gov spring from the get go, or will it be completely stock?

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
as its looking now it will be bone stock. judging from how (un)quickly the project has been moving thus far its looking like my shakedown run will be a 400 mile trip to michigan... with a camper in tow. everything has taken so much time. this paintjob is not going smoothly. im up right now at 5 am heading out to work on it a couple hours before my orientation for my new job. i was hoping to be able to get a run bone stock to get my baseline then just move some things around to bump it up without going too far. but as im brand new to these motors im not sure how far one can go without swapping fuel plates and whatnot. id certainly wait to be the last one on the rollers if the time was an issue.