Radiator replacement Q's

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a radiator laying around for a couple years now (mine leaks). Finally ordered some hoses to do it because I think the top one is starting to split.

Question I had: Is it possible to unbolt the shroud and just slide it back to get the radiator out? Or does the fan have to come off?

Anything ese I should know?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
don't see any reason why you would need to take the fan off. The rad rests on rubber mounts that are posts that stick out and the rubber mounts are upsidedown U pieces that you lift the rad straight up off the pins once you take the retaining bolts out. pretty simple, so the rad comes out straight up

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
it should come out without pulling it but do yourself a favor and slide some cardboard in and tape it to the rad before putting the new one in. it will help keep you from beating up the fins on install.

whenry912

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And that sucker is damn heavy, I used my cherry picker to lift mine in and out, well not really heavy, but more bulky i guess, couldn't get a good grip on it... but didn't have to take the fan off...

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Fan does not have to come off, unbolt the shroud and slide it back. I just grabbed mine by both sides(Top) and pulled stright up, it is heavy, 2x on the cardboard idea, good idea Freebird01.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
They get heavy because of all the crap that settles in the bottom tank....:sly

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Those copper/brass units come in over 40lbs I think. Mine darn near pulled me into the truck when I was installing it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online