Radiator leak.......replacement seems eminent?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are obviously two schools of thought here, and each should be respectful of the other.

On one hand, we have people who enjoy moding their trucks, and doing every little **** thing that might in some way enhance, preserve or protect the vehicle.

On the other hand, there are obviously people who choose to believe what they wish, and avoid adding or enhancing things that MAY have some beneficial impact, but which also have NO KNOWN detriment.

If you choose NOT to believe a water filter is beneficial, and don't want to put one on, that is fine by me. After all, it's your money, and your going to spend it how you see fit. However, don't come in here and say it's ********. There is no magic bullet here, and nobody said you can't get to 300K or more without one, but you may save some money on extra parts along the way.

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
Well if water filters are such a beneficial impact why didn't the truck have one in the beginning.
Yet the new vehicles don't have them.
farm machinery is a large user of diesel engines but only the older Fords had them then you only changed them when they rusted out.

Yes it may be his money but guess who is going to get to put it on.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Oh so the real reason is you don't want to plumb one - Ah I understand now (I'm a little slow on up take sometimes)... Heck no I would not want to install one on someone elses truck either... Did mine and played in enough coolant. The mulitple trips to the hardware store because you can't find that one fitting you need in the freak'n old coffee can - that gets old quick and don't like doing it for mine let alone someone else's...

Sorry about that did not mean to put added work on ya.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Originally posted by smokin_stroker00

Yes it may be his money but guess who is going to get to put it on.

Dont worry SS i am not convinced that a coolant filter is worth its cost.
But if i were gonna get one i think i am going with a Brita that way i can drink it if i want to!:rotflmao :popcorn

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well if water filters are such a beneficial impact why didn't the truck have one in the beginning.
Yet the new vehicles don't have them.

Times and technology change. Ford certainly didn't want one on there, because it would have added to the perception that diesels are harder to maintain. Adding another filter to the maintainance schedule would look bad, and increase cost of ownership. All things that, from a marketing perspective are bad for the bottom line. Same reason they worked to eliminate coolant changes. Lowers ownership cost, which is a selling point. Doesn't mean any of this is really better for your engine. It's just better for THEM. Same reason they never admited they made a mistake with the 7.3 and the cavitation problem. Same reason they didn't quick rush out and send a letter to everybody that bought one, offering to replace the engine free of charge cause they goofed up. If it costs money, doesn't increase profit, and may leak (warrantly claim), then why have it at all? These are lean times. Quality is obviously being sacrificed to improve time to market and increase profits. You can make any truck better than they made it, because you really care about how long it lasts. I don't think it was always this way, but the pace seems to have accelerated somewhat.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Good points mel,
However, I would still argue that if your logic is true then why havent manufacturers phased out fuel and oil filters as well??
My only explanation for this is that filtering the coolant is not as important to the engine as filtering the oil and fuel. This explanation has been my main point all along.

Dont get me wrong i appreciate all the good points and arguement...........hell you still might convince me if you keep it up!:cool

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, we all do what's best in our minds. What else can I say? :D

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y2K f250 SD PSD 6sp 4x4,Rancho leveling kit, WD turbo brake,TS PERFORMANCE Flip Chip,K&N filter,gooseneck,straight pipes, smittybilt nerf bars,and rancho steering stablizer tank mods done,oil bypass done, fuel rail mods done

smokin stroker,

Thats your sig line, why did you add all that crap to your truck? If it needed it then by all means it should have been on there from the factory.

No flames intended, just pointing out the obvious.

Mike

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
Originally posted by Agnem
Times and technology change. Ford certainly didn't want one on there, because it would have added to the perception that diesels are harder to maintain. Adding another filter to the maintainance schedule would look bad, and increase cost of ownership. All things that, from a marketing perspective are bad for the bottom line. Same reason they worked to eliminate coolant changes. .

It wouldn't make the diesel look bad. From what you are saying the gas engines should have one as well.Sand from the casting is
:bs at this point in his or even my trucks if it had casting sand in the coolant it would have done it's damage by now.If you flush and change your coolant every year like you are supposed to there is really nothing left to filter

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
Originally posted by 95_stroker
smokin stroker,

Thats your sig line, why did you add all that crap to your truck? If it needed it then by all means it should have been on there from the factory.

No flames intended, just pointing out the obvious.

Mike

You know you are right I should change that
rancho steering stablizer removed =truck wouldn't steer in the winter
oil bypass removed and took back to stock =leaks and no effect
smittybilt nerf bars should remove =rusted out
tank mods done, fuel rail mods done should have never done=no noticable difference fuel pressure never stays where it is set waste of time and money
Rancho leveling kit,this was installed before I figured out why they done what they done

doesn't leave much left does it just goes to show you mods are not all that they are cracked up to be also tried the 10k resistor

:bs nothing going there either

whitestroker

Reaction score
Well fellas I been runnin K-1 kerosene for a number of years and I have never had to worry about lubrication of the water pump or the other cooling system components. Also I have noticed that my block heater works a lot better with K-1.
Runs good in winter and summer and is a lot cheaper than conventional anit-freeze.:popcorn

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
Originally posted by whitestroker
Well fellas I been runnin K-1 kerosene for a number of years and I have never had to worry about lubrication of the water pump or the other cooling system components. Also I have noticed that my block heater works a lot better with K-1.
Runs good in winter and summer and is a lot cheaper than conventional anit-freeze.:popcorn
:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao
What have you been smoking :sorry:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online

No members online now.