Radiator leak.......replacement seems eminent?

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Well the radiator has a leak somewhere, I have not pin pointed the location of the leak but it looks like it is the radiator near the bottom. I also noticed the copper fins are starting to deteriorate and flake off. Any suggestions as to the replacement of the radiator? Are there any brands of radiator that are superior?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I perferred to get them recored at a local shop. Figured it was easier that way... Drop it off and pick it up next day, got a local warranty in case there was a problem - that way I was standing in front of the guy that did it.

Did the exchange thing once paid around 500 for a complete ready to go rad, paid like 300 or so for the recore (no brainer there).

Plus when you go the recore route if you need to you can get more fins per inch, or thicker core, or more rows (even all three in my case). This is only if your having cooling issues because of cranking up the power and hauling heavy.

Last edited:

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
It seems like finding a good new one that wasnt made in mexico is really hard to do these days. I have a made in mexico one right now. Been ok so far (about 12 months), but I've read about many problems others have had with them. So I'm hoping. Travis's idea may be the best one going.

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
The leak is very slow, so I am thinking about waiting until spring to fix it when it is warmer outside. Is there a certain kind of antifreeze that would be bad to add to the system? And is there any one brand of stop leak that i can add to the radiatior to seal this leak for a while that wont clog things up if i leave it in the system?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Bad anti-freeze is anything that is not low silicate formula (diesel rated) after that the choice really is up to you but I was always partial to Fleetguard or Fleetrite. Some guys say that you should not run ELC's because it will attack the orings in the cooler if they are not updated to the latest and greatest - could say one way or the other as I never ran the ELC. I figured that the good old trusty green stuff was for me - that way it was a no brainer (which helps with me)...

Now for stop leak I have always had good luck with Bars brand typically I will see it at the counter at most autoparts stores (you know the real ones where they have seats for ya while ya wait at the counter).

Have used both the pellet style and the liquid form both worked for what I needed but trust me it's not a long term fix all.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I've used bars-leak, and silver seal. The silver seal is the cheapest, and works as good as anything else. Kinda looks like groudn aluminum. Used to be $.50 a tube, but now it's over a buck.

I'd say the best answer is to trade that pos choker in on a cummins. ;Poke

:sorry: Just givin ya chit.

I'd go for a new one, myself. The stresses involved in the heating/cooling proccess, takes its toll on tanks and fittings, too.

Just my $.02

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Typically it will turn to sludge and find it's way throughout the system - should find a low spot and park for a while - hopefully anyways... I would not worry about it since your planning on changing it here in a couple of months. Now if you were going to be running it for the next 10 months or better I would recommend a change.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put a coolant filter in while your at it!

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
The stop leak stuff i found does not work one these trucks. I had 2 leaks and used it. It would hold for about 3 days then start leaking again so i got a new rad. Just my 2 cents

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
Originally posted by Agnem
Put a coolant filter in while your at it!

Mel,

I dont see what the big deal with the coolant filters is. I cant see where a filter system for coolant is worth the price. Another thing is why wouldnt they come equipped with one from the factory if it were substantially benefitial to vehicles?

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Originally posted by Diezel_Cowboy
Mel,

I dont see what the big deal with the coolant filters is. I cant see where a filter system for coolant is worth the price. Another thing is why wouldnt they come equipped with one from the factory if it were substantially benefitial to vehicles?

If I remember right all of IH's applications use coolant filters and Ford chose not to in the pickups. Ford should have plummed them in so we don't have to. Good insurance to a spendy coolant system.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
The nice thing about coolant filters, is that they maintain the SCA level in the system. Plus, they catch all the lil nasties that attack hoses, and seals.

None of our newer Petes have them on the Cats, but the new KW came with one. The difference is, with extended life coolant, you use a non-medicated filter.

Personally, I don't have them on my pickups, but they are cheap insurance against internal corrosion, and o-ring failure.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Originally posted by Diezel_Cowboy
Mel,

here is what I posted somewhere else (TDS 7.3 IDI forums) that explains why you should consider a coolant filter -

Now also by running a coolant filter you filter out all the unmentionables in the coolant that are floating around. Do a search here in the forum for a post I made I think it was 2~3 years ago in Jan about seeing the insides of a coolant filter that came off a truck with LESS THAN 100K miles on it's clock. SAND, YES SAND was in the filter. This was casting sand that was left over from when the engine was made. Just think that stuff made it to the filter which was mounted ABOVE the engine so you know it was slamming it home on the water pump and all corners/surfaces in the cooling system.

Just think what sand will do to a water pump shaft seal assembly... Hummm might want to throw one on there ya know... Especially if your planning on keeping the truck for a while.

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
Originally posted by argve
here is what I posted somewhere else (TDS 7.3 IDI forums) that explains why you should consider a coolant filter -

Just think what sand will do to a water pump shaft seal assembly... Hummm might want to throw one on there ya know... Especially if your planning on keeping the truck for a while.

Gee you would think it is a little late now. The truck is a 94 with over 130,000 miles it has hurt anything yet.

I know a guy that has a 86 6.9 with over 300,000 miles on the ticker has hurt it yet. So what is the filter supposed to da again.:bs :bs :bs -Deadhorse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online