Racor FG500 S/S filter

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today, Kaleb and I went out and pulled an IP and lines and 7 of 8 BB code injectors for spares/cores for him today from a wreck, along with a CDR to tear into and clean etc. I imagine we could have pulled more and likely will.

One thing I grabbed and since this was Kaleb's deal I swapped him a Front driveshaft for his truck for this Racor FG 500 S/S fliter

So my question is where and how should I go about mounting this? Is it ok to use an electric pump to fee INTO this or should I DRAW through it? Should I mount this on the frame below tank? NOT A FAVORITE OPTION or is it ok in the engine bay where I found it?

Is this thing any good and worth keeping? I suspect it is. I just want to build a nice trouble free fuel system for my truck!

You must be registered for see images attach

Whatcha all think?

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
I would say that is more dependent on your e-pump, than on the filter. The ratings on the label are well above what most pumps put out, or pull.

If you have a pump that likes to push, put it before the filter. A good pulling pump, after.

that's my two cents.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Mine is where my factory water separator was, but I am also using a mechanical pump. Definitely a good score!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
instructions say.....better to suck through this filter than pressure through it...

OK the carrier pumps are designed for significant LIFT IIRC and I suppose until I get one the stock gasser EFI intank pump will be pushing fuel through this setup! I need to keep my costs down at this point for my swap,

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Although it says better to suck through it, I am curious if we have enough pressure on the system for that to even matter much.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
instructions say.....better to suck through this filter than pressure through it...

OK the carrier pumps are designed for significant LIFT IIRC and I suppose until I get one the stock gasser EFI intank pump will be pushing fuel through this setup! I need to keep my costs down at this point for my swap,

I had a VERY long conversation with the folks at Facet about the Dura lift ( when I was having problems due to my pump being mounted too low ) but I picked the guys brain about as many things as possible on the pump and while it is designed to lift FUEL, it already has an 80 micron restriction in its built in filter screen. adding an element filter in before that can cause problems in some situations, it is best to put an element filter AFTER the pump. THe reasoning that Racor gives for wanting their filter in a suction position is that the little vortex spinning part of the separator in the bowl operates better with the fuel being pulled than when it is pushed. It will still function either way, What it does is when teh fuel enters the separator *****, it comes out at an angle and is supposed to spin, but quite frankly in a car or pickup application, it's not going to matter if it's being pushed or pulled, the things are designed for semi trucks where the fuel volume is moving at about 4 times or more the rate . at the rate our fuel moves, it's not going to get spinning anyway, so just mount it after the pump, let it work like a normal separator bowl , and avoid problems