RABS post got me to thinking about my idiot light

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
My 87 F250 came to me with no brake line going to the rear brakes. It had rusted through and the PO simply pinched-off the line that used to serve the rear brakes.

My first repair to the truck, was to install new brake lines to both rear wheels. I ran the line from the distribution block on the left frame rail (Just below the firewall) to both wheel cylinders (Had to replace one of them)

After successfully bleeding the rear brakes, I took it for a test drive. WHile I was driving, the "Rear Antilock" light came on. This is the amber light, not the red brake warning light.

My question is, how do you get that light off (Preferably without removing the bulb :D ) so that the rear ABS is functioning again?

I have nothing, but a "Tee" mounted on the rear axle. The distribution block is mounted under the firewall, like I said. That distribution block does have wires coming from it, so I assume it is causing the light to come on.

Should I just re-bleed the entire system, including that distribution block?

Gary

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That distribution block is actually the RABS module, my guess is during the steel line replacement air got into it, and you can't purge all the air with a regular wheel bleeding. The RABS has its own bleeder in the very front part, the bleeder is facing the tranny. Bleed the rear brakes in the RR -> LR -> RABS order, repeat a few times. That should basically take care of it, but just in case run at least one full full RR -> LR -> RABS -> RF -> LF bleed. The only time I've seen my RABS come on was when I floored the brakes on rainy asphalt and there was some air in the rear lines, few days afterwards I replaced the front lines and hoses and bled the whole system, and I ain't never had RABS issues ever again, and RABS works like a charm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HarleyCummins