Quick Question Re: ZF5 fluid

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Purple-01320-Performance-Transmission/dp/B000BQ78H6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328881539&sr=8-1 what many people put in their ZF5? I see people refer to Royal Purple a lot, but there are lots of kinds.

How about this http://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-Synthetic-Automatic-Transmission/dp/B000T9RKS2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1328883166&sr=8-3 for the Redline people refer to?

This stuff is expensive enough I want to do it right the first (well, *ehem* second *ehem*) time. Also if anyone in KY or close by wants to split a case of 12 we could save a little. I think it would have to be local, as shipping would negate any savings offered by buying a case.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Royal Purple ATF you linked is the stuff. I put 2 gallons in my ZF5. Zero rollover.

Heath

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 gallons?? wow, I put one gallon in mine. Amsoil fully synthetic.

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
On a semi related note, how would you go about flushing out gear oil that the PO put in this trans and replace it with the proper fluid. Im asking cause i really dont want to drop this thing to do it cause im lazy

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I used the redline MTL in my ZF before the rebuild. I just run synthetic Valvoline since the rebuild

boxathey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is the recommended fluid type / weight from ford ? i have yet to change mine over i should probably do it soon...

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Yes, you live in Florida where it doesn't get very cold also.[/

You assume it doesn't get very cold here in Florida. There are other people on this site that run the same fluid as I do who are in colder areas. One name that comes to mind is Agnem.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you live in Florida where it doesn't get very cold also.[/

You assume it doesn't get very cold here in Florida. There are other people on this site that run the same fluid as I do who are in colder areas. One name that comes to mind is Agnem.

Everyone makes mistakes, even Agnem.. I tried the 30w in my tranny, and could not get it in gear during the winter when I first started out in the morning. I had to drive it a couple miles before I could even shift it without double clutching. I called him on it, and in one post he did admit that it was hard to shift and he had a "long driveway" that helped out with that. It's ridiculous. I don't mind people recommending stuff, as long as they put a addendum that it doesn't work very well when it gets very cold.

Besides the aggravation pulling that oil out, I guess it didn't cost me too much. I used the old 30w I pulled out in my chainsaw for chain lube.

I now use 10w-30 in my tranny. It's still a little bit stiff in cold weather, but nothing like the straight 30w. I was thinking about converting to the synthetic everyone talks about, but it's so expensive, and I am getting a little tired of changing the oil in the tranny. The 10w-30 works well enough, even though I have been warned "it will ruin the tranny running detergent motor oil" no one can give me a reason why, I guess it's just another one of those internet rumors that get spread around.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I now use 10w-30 in my tranny. It's still a little bit stiff in cold weather, but nothing like the straight 30w. I was thinking about converting to the synthetic everyone talks about, but it's so expensive, and I am getting a little tired of changing the oil in the tranny. The 10w-30 works well enough, even though I have been warned "it will ruin the tranny running detergent motor oil" no one can give me a reason why, I guess it's just another one of those internet rumors that get spread around.

I've been running Mobil 1 Full synthetic 10W30 for 15k miles. One guy said that the detergent motor oil allows lots of little bubbles to build up in the oil, providing inadequate lubrication for the synchronizers. I've been wanting to change it for synthetic ATF, as that is what the factory calls for, though its tempting to just leave it alone. Putting in the Royal Purple will cost me about 1/3 the cost of a used transmission, though the labor involved would be a pain.:dunno