Questions about Ford/Cummins conversion

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently looking into a Cummins conversion for my '88 Ford 4x4 with a tired 7.3 IDI. I have a 5-speed manual, which I gather is the zf5. I was thinking about putting in a remanufactured 7.3 with a Banks turbo kit, which would run about $7,000 roughly. However, when I started doing research on my options for a turbo kit when I heard about the Cummins conversion. So now, I'm trying to get some info on what a conversion entails exactly. So far I've gathered that I would probably want to mate a 94-98 12V to my transmission with an adapter plate. It seems like a lot of engineering has already been done on motor mounts to place the engine in the optimal spot, so I would probably spring for a set. I don't plan on running the truck hard, but may turn up the engine a little for the fun factor. Oh, I will be doing this myself, as I feel I have the skills needed.
So here are my questions:

1) Will the zf5 with 4:10 gears run the motor too high in its rpm range?

2) Is there any modification to the transmission/transfer case location and therefore drive shaft length?

3) I'm still considering a new IDI with a turbo kit, but I'm wondering if I could do the Cummins swap for the same money or less?

4) I'm wondering how the intercooler is setup on the truck and if the radiator/intercooler from a Dodge is generally put in, or is an aftermarket intercooler placed in front of the Ford radiator.

5) What type of clutch setup is to be used in my application, Ford clutch/TO bearing, Dodge clutch/TO bearing, combination?

6) Will the cruise control of the Ford work with the Cummins?

7) Any space issues when placing the Cummins in the Ford?

8) Anything else I've not thought of and should consider?

Thanks a lot and I appreciate your time
mR

rubberfish

Reaction score
The Cummins in a Ford is an excellent idea.
The Kermit The Frog green is kinda ****** though.

amjperformance

Supporting vendor
Reaction score
Am getting ready to put a Cummins where a 6.0L Powerstroke used to be. Any suggestions on what torque converter to use?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am getting ready to put a Cummins where a 6.0L Powerstroke used to be. Any suggestions on what torque converter to use?
I'd check with the 6.0 dept to see if there is any current issues to the stock convertor. I haven't seen one come though yet. I'm sure there is more exotic aftermarket units out there tho. do post pics of the conversion!;Sweet